Archinect
anchor

AIA or RA, that is the question....

b-money

Here I sit, two days before my former firm-subsidized AIA membership expires, debating the value of spending $600+ for an annual membership. After having been laid off, I am starting my own practice. I have a few projects to speak of, nothing big and nothing very profitable. But, I am making / building a name for myself. As I consider renewing membership, the value gained seems way out of proportion with the relative costs and no matter how I wrack my brain, I can see no real benefit beyond the fact that the title AIA after my name looks better to prospective clients.

Anyone else facing the same dilemma? Anyone see it differently? What has the AIA done for us lately that I may be missing, forgetting, or just tuning out?

Mar 29, 10 11:56 pm
Geertrude

Ask yourself:
Did the AIA help me keep my old job?
Did the AIA help me get the Freelance work I do Have?
There was a recent thread on this exact subject - it cant be more than a week old.
It seems RA is gaining popularity as a symbol of independence.
Nothing against the Great people at AIA, but many think it's becoming an Organism-ization which has long outlived it's purpose. Does the AIA give any Play to non-member Architects, in the general spirit of Architecture?

Mar 30, 10 12:38 am  · 
 · 

I'm AIA, and intend to stay so this year *if* they will let me renew again on an installment plan.

We have, as Geertrude says, debated the "value" of the AIA a lot on these boards. I'm not really interested in seeing this thread turn into another screeching argument. I join the AIA for reasons that make sense to my practice and my worldview.

But! The economic reality for many architects, especially sole practitioners, is that writing a $600 check can be difficult. For my situation, and surely I'm not alone in this, breaking it into small chunks makes it not only less difficult to swallow but realistically feasible at all.

Mar 30, 10 12:47 am  · 
 · 
ObiWanKenobi

The majority of posters say NO!!!:

http://www.architectmagazine.com/blogs/postdetails.aspx?BlogId=worklifeblog&PostId=93522

My favorite quotes from the blog so far:

"The AIA's focus on liberal social issues and away from a focus on assisting actual licenced architect from making a living has made it no longer relavant. The AIA should change it's named to the AILSE (the American Institute of Liberal Social Engineering)."

"...[Finnaly] I would add that the AIA's focus on bizzare avant guard design has margionalized the public's perception of what Architect's are and what we do."

"Is it the American Institute of Architects or the American Institute of Architecture? Who exactly is the AIA serving? I was annoyed with the AIA’s jubilate acceptance of the new presidential administration’s liberal social agenda...."

"One year into this current recession the AIA released it’s three core items that it would focus on for the up coming year were, diversity, sustainable design, and integration of the IPD contract system. At that point I realized that the directors of the AIA were hopelessly out of touch with the economic realities of running a small business and actual practice at a small firm and that there was little to no actual value in being affiliated with that organization..."

"They are all super-liberals with an agenda actually CONTRARY to what will make architects financially successful. I'll never forget the fundraising call I personally received from the DC AIA HQ office, on a national piece of legislation the AIA was supporting (and....surprise!...it was nothing that would benefit architects, as it was something about banning the bomb in Nicaragua, or somthing equally irrelevant). I talked to the AIA rep for a while, and the conversation turned to the political climate in Washington, whereupon the rep began whispering to me. In response to my query about why he suddenly started whispering, he said,"Everyone else here is a liberal democrat. I have to be very quiet with this type of conversation. If you aren't drinking the liberal koolaid, you won't have a job here for long..."

Seems like the silent majority might actually be forced to find their voice now that the economy is imploding: Awesome.

AIA dead wood + carnage = A very, very good thing that has been a long time coming.

Mar 30, 10 1:12 am  · 
 · 

I've been licensed for 14 years, frankly never gave joining the AIA much thought. What value are they offering me? Perhaps I'm missing something, but the RA next to my name suits me just fine.

Wow, I had no idea it was $600....

Mar 30, 10 1:49 am  · 
 · 
Geertrude

@ObiWan..: That was a beautifully composed mountain of truth - thank you for that fresh spring breeze.

Mar 30, 10 9:02 am  · 
 · 
marlowe

I think the real question to ask is that if you went out and spent $600 on printing up flyers and then placing them on the windshields of cars parked in an IKEA parking lot, you'd likely get at least 1 or two inquaries for work.

Spending 600+ on an AIA membership will get you a subscription to arc record and a neat lapel pin.

Mar 30, 10 9:07 am  · 
 · 
Geertrude

^^^^^Genuis^^^^^^

Mar 30, 10 9:28 am  · 
 · 
Geertrude

^^^^^ Not G-e-n-I-U-s^^^^^

Mar 30, 10 9:29 am  · 
 · 
marmkid

it all depends on how much you will be using what the AIA has to offer. Will you go to their networking functions or whatever else is going on.

I know its a sensitive subject around here, but it can offer more than just a couple magazines. You just need to go and find out all it can do for you though, and then decide if that is something you want to use. It could potentially offer some networking meetings or events (like any other membership to different organizations related to our field would) that you might otherwise not get in to or have to pay more for. If that is something that would be used a lot by you (or at least $600 worth), then it would be worth it.
Maybe take a look at an AIA calendar of events and see if you would seriously be interested in going to some of the events and add up how much you would save by having an AIA membership. Each event like that is usually like a $100 event and with a membership you get half off or more? I dont really go to many of them so i dont know for sure, but its something like that.

Personally, unless one of your clients felt it was something they prefer (some of our developers like that we are AIA), I wouldnt think it is really worth it if i was in your position.

It's not completely worthless, they just dont do anything for you.

Mar 30, 10 9:38 am  · 
 · 
Alexi

I'm not renewing this year, but to the AIA"s defense, they are providing sample contract documents for IPD, which i think are beneficial.

Mar 30, 10 9:39 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

AIA is really just a club. Don't join if you don't belong.

Mar 30, 10 9:50 am  · 
 · 
sahar

I feel like having AIA behind your name is weird even if you are a member. Doctors don't put AMA, dentists don't put ADA, lawyers don't put ABA. We shouldn't devalue RA.

Mar 30, 10 10:25 am  · 
 · 
b-money

@ marlowe... That is a brilliant idea. What a fabulous case study idea. Now I just need to find the $600 to test the idea. Of course, one could also try it with $15 worth of flyers and see what the results are.

@strawbeary... elegantly stated.

Mar 30, 10 10:27 am  · 
 · 
aquapura

I don't use RA because nobody knows what the heck it means. Instead I just put A-R-C-H-I-T-E-C-T behind my name. That way nobody is going to be confused, industry insider or not.

Unfortunately my employer contributes very little to AIA membership, otherwise I would join. They do offer things I wouldn't mind being involved in. That said, the meager 1/3 that would be company paid just doesn't tip the scales for me.

My question is, what does everything think a reasonable annual dues (national, state, local) should be?? I think the magazine should be an additional add on, if wanted, and the three tiers of membership shouldn't exceed $250/year.

As has been mentioned before, spending our dues on lobbying or advertising isn't doing much good. I'm sure the national payroll could be trimmed too. There are plenty of ways the AIA could make themselves more affordable for the members, especially in troubling economic times for Architects.

Mar 30, 10 10:59 am  · 
 · 
Geertrude

Hey - There's not enough IKEA's to go Around! This could get ugly.
Not unlike the guys who look for day-labor in the Home Depot Parking lot, I'm imagining an architect Slapfest in Ikea's Asphaltic Sea.

Mar 30, 10 11:01 am  · 
 · 
marmkid

perhaps if the AIA had different levels of membership, it could be a bit more affordable.

basic membership could be your name in their database
then you increase to get discounted prices to events or whatever else they offer

that way, you can pick and choose what you feel they could offer to you, rather than assuming their entire package works and is valuable to every single architect and firm out there

Mar 30, 10 11:03 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

@ sahar, yes, because dentists know that the ADA is a club, and is not a credential.

Mar 30, 10 11:40 am  · 
 · 
quizzical

Having AIA behind your name doesn't make you successful. Based on my own 30 years of participation, the only truly meaningful value of being an AIA member comes from active participation.

Having been quite active for a very long time, I have found that exposure to other design professionals from around the country, the chance to work on some interesting volunteer committees, the forced immersion into topics that I probably otherwise would have held at arms length, being part of an organized group when lobbying my state and national legislators, etc. made the annual investment quite valuable to me. I truly believe my participation has made me a better design professional.

I say this knowing full well that AIA has its problems and never will be as effective as the profession at large expects it to be. However, if one believes the profession needs a professional association to tackle the issues AIA tackles, then there's really no other meaningful alternative. Your choice is to ignore the AIA or to be an active member in an effort to make it more effective. This is true of all volunteer led organizations.

While I am, and will remain, a supporter of AIA because I've gained a lot from my many years of membership, I will say that if you don't plan to be active, you'll probably not derive any meaningful benefits to offset the cost of dues.

Mar 30, 10 11:57 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Well stated, Quizzical.

Mar 30, 10 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
ObiWanKenobi

good point sahar, "I feel like having AIA behind your name is weird even if you are a member. Doctors don't put AMA, dentists don't put ADA, lawyers don't put ABA. We shouldn't devalue RA. "

Don't forget Licensed Engineers...John Doe, P.E. not John Doe, ASCE

And archs wonder why engineers take home 4x as much money yet are their "consultants"...what a moronic bunch this profession is composed of.

Mar 30, 10 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

I doubt architects make less money than you would like because they put AIA after their name

Lets put the blame where it belongs, and the problem isnt letters after our name

It may be stupid to some, but its not causing us to all make less money, and as has been pointed out by quizzical and others, being an AIA member can be a useful tool if used correctly (which can include having it on your business card after your name).

I think some doctors who are active in the AMA, dentists active in the ADA, engineers active in the ASCE would probably have it after their name as well

Its not completely useless, lets not get overly dramatic here

Mar 30, 10 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
aceclubs

@marlowe

IKEA idea is the stupidest thing i've heard in a long time. you're going to get a bunch of cheap ass client who prefer to assemble their own furniture and under no circumstances want to spring for movers. believe me, i know what i'm talking about, i shop there myself.

no one will appreciate your services much less want to pay you for it. unless you're going to offer a set of plans for a family room addition (for which, in most cases, you don't need an architect anyway) for $69.95 your idea is moot.

Mar 30, 10 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

I use both even though I'm sure it looks redundant to many other archies.

Mar 30, 10 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
tenn

when local, state, and national dues are combined, it cost my firm $714 for my membership to AIA. as a newly licensed architect, i have found very little benefit from joining AIA. this fee has not bought me any tickets to conventions or other AIA functions, nor has made me any more marketable for my firm. the simple fact that i am an "architect" is what makes me more attractive to clients.

however, there is one benefit of joining AIA: Design Award Submissions. my firm has won numerous local, state, and regional AIA design awards, and these, as much as anything, have been quite powerful in attracting new clients or at least substantiating our design abilities to potential clients. of course, if you are no member of AIA, then you simply cannot submit for awards. oh, the subscription to Arch Record is ok as well.

Mar 30, 10 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

that is a great point about the awards too. Simple marketing benefit

"this fee has not bought me any tickets to conventions or other AIA functions, nor has made me any more marketable for my firm. the simple fact that i am an "architect" is what makes me more attractive to clients. "

it gets you discounted prices on tickets fto those functions though, doesnt it? That is the only benefit in that regard i can remember. If a lecture or event costs $75, then with an AIA membership, it only costs you $50 or something. And they seem to have a lot of lectures and events and tours of new buildings (my local chapter anyway), so if someone had interest in things like that, then it seems like it would be worth it. Just a quick look at the calendar on their website, and there is at least 2-3 things a week. So it would definitely add up quickly if you are someone who uses that as a way to network, or just likes going to those things.

I dont know how much tickets to the AIA convention costs, but i imagine it is the same thing, with perhaps a bigger discount.

It all seems pretty similar to the AMA with conventions and events i imagine. It seems people mainly have a problem with it becoming a replacement for simply having RA in their title. Which doesnt seem like that big a deal either way.

Mar 30, 10 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
Ledoux's Eye

Probably doesn't add much to the discussion, but just as a point of reference...some states, including the state in which I primarily practice, do not allow the use of "R.A." as a designation of licensure. My state, and several others of which I am aware, require the word "architect" to be completely spelled out immediately following the licensee's name, such as "John Doe, Architect." AIA or other association or certification acronyms are allowed to follow after the word "architect," but "R.A." or "RA" or any other set of initials intending to denote "registered architect" or "licensed architect" are strictly prohibited. Then again, I believe some states do allow the use of such initials. You should check the requirements for states in which you are licensed and intend to practice.

None of that has anything to do with whether you choose to join AIA, but you might want to consider that a vast majority of the public incorrectly assumes that if you do not have AIA after your name...you are not licensed. I think it is also safe to say that practically nobody outside the profession knows what "RA" is intended to mean.

Mar 30, 10 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Ledoux's point is spot-on.

I've argued elsewhere on this forum that the addition of various credential acronyms behind one's name is essentially about "branding" yourself quickly (if not instantaneously).

When you don't have the time or opportunity to explain your experience to a potential employer or potential client, or even the opportunity to attach your CV or portfolio, all you've got is your name and credentials on a business card (or signature line).

In that case, instant recognition is crucial. Credentials such as "AIA" or "LEED AP" --whatever you think of their merits (or lack thereof)-- quickly tell the audience you're qualified in a particular way that they've heard of.

As for the "RA/ AIA/ Architect" designation: most people outside our profession don't know what "RA" means. For better or worse, "AIA" is much better recognized (even by people who don't know what it really means). In my mind, there's nothing worse than working very hard for a credential (as we all do), and then having to explain it to someone.

Mar 30, 10 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I'm on the Fence.. .. a mug-womp!

Mar 30, 10 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
montagneux
Mar 30, 10 10:45 pm  · 
 · 
aceclubs

Ledoux:
If you put "Architect" behind your name you can't take your business card out of state. If you show up in California with that you'd be considered "holding yourself out to be an architect" unless you're licensed here. Hence the reluctance to use John Doe, Architect.

I completely agree that R.A. is useless.

Mar 31, 10 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
2step

Only the profession of Architecture could be so retarded as to not even be able to decide what to put on their business cards. Im glad Im old and going to die soon.

Mar 31, 10 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
ObiWanKenobi

Oh c'mon 2step...at least you will get to escape WWIII which is surely on the way.

I'm only in my third decade I am going to have to endure at least WWIII and maybe WW4 and 5 and so forth! (if Archinect members and various other manifestations of the commies don't burn me at the stake first!)

Mar 31, 10 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

When I went on my own I briefly had RA after my name. Then I realized in addition to it causing confusion, no one really cares about initials after names in Los Angeles.

I still get asked every once in a while 'are you AIA licensed'?

I'm still trying to figure out how the AIA is not useless...

Mar 31, 10 11:26 pm  · 
 · 
rascuache

This discussion just reminds me of a situation in which my boss, a registered architect and engineer, ordered business cards for which we noticed his title was:

His Name, R.A.,P.E.

Saved $600 and provided hours of laughter. Of course the cards were replaced, with swapped title places.

Apr 1, 10 2:42 am  · 
 · 
silverlake

Apr 1, 10 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
Ledoux's Eye

aceclubs, I don't think individual state license boards are concerned with whether you can use your business card in multiple states. The state to which I was referring requires a licensed architect to list "architect" immediately following their name on business cards, letterhead, anything related to their practice. It's not optional. I'm licensed in multiple states and have to try and keep up with the various rules and regulations in all of them. You are correct that I can not hand out a business card saying that I am an architect in a state in which I am not licensed. This seems logical to me.

Apr 2, 10 9:13 am  · 
 · 
aceclubs

they should definitely make cross-boarder, as in state boarder, practice easier. europe is way ahead in that respect.

Apr 2, 10 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
aceclubs

how about

John Doe, (R)AIA
=registered A.I.A.

silverlake, hear that a lot too. lot of people think AIA=license. pretty good job by AIA.

Apr 2, 10 7:33 pm  · 
 · 
minimalista

rascuache: That's a very astute observation. Just another reason why there should be a balance-of-power and checks-and-balances in the design process.

Apr 2, 10 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
babs

rascuache: "Just another reason why there should be a balance-of-power and checks-and-balances in the design process."

What the heck is that supposed to mean? What sort of 'checks and balances' do you have in mind, my friend.

On the one hand, people here accuse AIA of having no power whatsoever - then, in the next breath, accuse AIA of abusing it's awesome power.

I just don't get it.

Apr 2, 10 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
minimalista

I was responding to rascauche's most recent post. The checks and balances to which I referred were the relationship between architect "RA" and professional engineer "PE," meaning that it might not be desirable to be an "RA, PE" for more reasons than the awkward title.

There is often a dynamic but necessary tension between architect and engineer, especially when it comes to design. While each profession must understand the other, the architect must always be challenging the engineer to make the columns more slender, the cantilevers longer, and the structure generally more elegant. Likewise, the engineer must educate the architect on the limits of design as a way to create a project with structural integrity.

It's great when firms have both architects and engineers in-house. Take Arup for example. Their work is so graceful. I have no doubt that their architects and engineers relentlessly challenge each other.

While it would be commendable for an individual to be both an RA and a PE, it seems like that type of person should choose which role will lead his or her career.

Apr 2, 10 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
campacker

Being new to the profession I have asked this question of those around me. Some interesting points I gathered I have begun to question after reading this thread. Those points: 

-For those new to the profession networking is very important and if for nothing else AIA is a great place for that. 

-The networking for those striking out on their own may not initially seem beneficial but those connections with bigger firms could lead to work that is too small for them.

-In the highly politicized time left or right there is no other organization speaking to the needs of Architects so supporting the one organization that does even some is beneficial. It appears that there might need to be some changes made to course correct though. 

-Public recognition of AIA for the public looking for respectable architects holds some value and RA is less recognized, which may be the difference between getting a client or not. 

I guess at this point I'm still undecided as well.

Oct 18, 19 9:03 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: