Archinect
anchor

housing in NYC this summer and for 10-11

I am most likely (waiting on a couple schools) attending Columbia's MSAUD program starting June 2nd and have begun to look for housing.

I've looked at some previous threads and it seems like maybe subletting a place from a student during the summer until you find a place for the fall could be a good option.

Columbia housing seems to be a crap shoot although I'm gonna try it.

Anyone else in this situation that wants to comment or maybe others who have lived there?

Mar 21, 10 11:09 pm
iheartbooks

the best apts. i found while looking for places last summer, moving from boston, were found on craigslist.

obvious, but true.

Mar 21, 10 11:16 pm  · 
 · 
twenty1

i'm just starting to look around too. same school, same program, hi voneckht!

one of my friends was commuting from NJ. i'll do some research and reach out to people i know who are around nyc and let you know if i come across anything promising.

it's exciting!

Mar 27, 10 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

Hey, I'll be in NY for the summer as well. Will be needing housing for about 2-3 months in the summer and then will get a longer term lease somewhere.

But yea, if anyone has suggestions or wants to write a quick guide to less expensive/good neighborhoods to live in (that aren't dangerous) that would be sweet!

And also, of course, if anyone wants to go in on a place together or something definitely hit me up.

Mar 28, 10 5:50 pm  · 
 · 

hey good to see this thread come back from the dead!

so i talked to someone at Columbia about housing (I think Smoller, the dean of admissions) very helpful.

If you have aid money and FAFSA she said you receive it during the summer. You put your name in for the student housing and it is drawn with people farther away getting preference but as long as you submit by April 15 you will have the same shot as anyone else.

What I'm wondering is IF (big if) you get student housing......is it available for summer or does the lease start in the fall??......so you would have to find something off campus/on your own regardless during the summer??

either way I'm really excited to be in the city. I'll post if I find something as well

Mar 28, 10 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
sahar

voneckht,

I went to Columbia, but as an MArch not an AAD. I was under the impression that the housing offer you get begins in the fall. The weird thing though is my offer letter for housing said I could move in as early as June 1. When I read that I was thought "Why would I want to move in June 1 if I don't start until after labor day?" You should definitely sign up for it because you do not have to accept your offer. If you reject it, I think your name goes to the bottom of the list.

When I was at GSAPP, there was an email sent out by the administration asking students who were leaving for the summer to let them know in an attempt to place incoming AADs into housing. You could try to find housing nearby but it is more expensive. Columbia is the cheapest and most convenient option. It takes a lot to commute from NJ or another borough / part of the city when you are working late at night. Don't get me wrong, there were people that did it. I just was glad I was not one of them.

Mar 30, 10 10:44 am  · 
 · 

So, I just learned my sister will be attending Columbia as well which is awesome but we need to find a 2br now.

I am wondering if anyone who will be attending Columbia this summer wants to sublet a room in a 2br for a few months. My sister will be moving in during the fall.

send me an e-mail and let me know if interested!

Apr 7, 10 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
turtle

I just landed a summer position in NYC before attending the AA in the fall and also need to figure out some sort of housing situation... hmmm

Apr 7, 10 10:45 pm  · 
 · 

Hey All, I will be moving from la to nyc for the MAUD program as well (jun2) and have started looking for housing. It'd be great to hook up with other students to get some affordable living.

Just spotted this place on craigslist
http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/roo/1708234456.html

looking for something like that, Brooklyn is cool but might be too far. Suggestions welcome. (I'm 23, born Costa Rica, b.arch from sciarc, really easy going and hard working)

I want to buy my plane ride soon for around May 25.

David

Apr 24, 10 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

I'll be looking for housing (preferably in manhattan, but williamsburg is cool) starting in mid-late june.

Apr 25, 10 11:59 am  · 
 · 
goodsA

GSAPP Kids, I came across MSAUD Columbia 2011 facebook group http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=112088295495897&ref=ts

perhaps we prefer to stay where the true archies chat, but it may be helpful for people to get to know each other now, goodluck!

Apr 26, 10 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

Just curious if anyone would be able to make a comparison between living in the UES near Central Park or Brooklyn near Prospect Park... does Brooklyn blow it away, hands down?

Also, if anyone is interested in sharing a 2br in Brooklyn for a year or more let me know!

Jun 6, 10 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
mbuyer

I am still in need of a place to live and roommates somewhere in Clinton Hill, Brooklyn. If worst comes worst, i'll search on craigslist.

Jun 6, 10 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

mbuyer, when were you thinking of moving in? July 1st?

Jun 6, 10 8:17 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

ha ha, mbuyer - I just snooped at your portfolio... we (at cinci) do a huge project on cranbrook as well!

...god, i hate that place so much. >_<

Jun 6, 10 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
mbuyer

august first move in. I planned a month ahead of time will be enough to get acquainted with clinton hill

Jun 21, 10 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
ritzyy

Hi,

I'm currently an M Arch student looking for 2 people to sublet my apartment. I'll be doing an internship in Beijing. The apartment is on Amsterdam and 2 blocks away from Avery Hall (where your studio will be for the program). The apartment has 2 bedrooms, living room and full kitchen, brand new appliances. I've completed the program back in 2009 and can tell you a bit about what to expect. If you're nterested, let me know.

rentalamsterdamj@gmail.com

May 19, 11 7:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: