Archinect
anchor

The potentially dumb question thread

montagneux

Why can't anyone design good looking "industrial hardware" like vents, pipe caps, air-conditioning units, exhaust fans, grates et cetera?

Ask and answer potentially dumb questions.

Mar 21, 10 4:55 am
msudon

because industrial designers are too busy trying to re-invent the (bicycle) wheel. Core77 is full of shitty futuristic bike mods and new stupid consumer electronics.

Mar 21, 10 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
randomized

design your own stuff or even better...design your building in such a way that you don't need all that crap, natural ventilation etc.

Mar 21, 10 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
montagneux

I thought about designing my own stuff... but that wouldn't get me very far.

What got me started on this was that I have been pondering about moving to the Lower East Side. The area is notoriously filled up with apartments that don't have air conditioners or heat pumps. So, I was looking at what the energy cost of a window unit would be versus buying a small unit. So, I have the online sites and catalogs pricing them out. And 99% of them are so ungodly ugly.

So over the past three weeks... I have been looking at all the hardware. It's all gunmetal gray and offwhite crap! I found one sort of pretty Hitachi.

This is pretty much combined with noticing how garish these features are on many buildings all over the place.

That and I'm pretty sure the availability of aerial and satellite imagery has kindled my fetish of checking out how ugly roofs are! I mean... it's how a lot of people view buildings now is from above!

Mar 21, 10 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
keopi

OH MY GOD
actually....... paris de gaulle airport by (i think) paul andreu.......

http://www.izzicarhire.com/slike/c/cdg_airport.jpg
http://www.paris-traveltips.com/pics/charles-de-gaulle-terminal-1.jpg

these air ducts are frickin sweet. you have to look closely but then you will love it.
hard to find better photos..

Mar 22, 10 1:59 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: