Archinect
anchor

International student seeking advice.

yuan

hey...i am an international student, hoping to do undergraduate architecture as a freshman in fall 2005. i have shortlisted cal poly slo, risd, kansas state and sciarc. anybody has any advice for me? in my high school, i didnt take any arts courses, hence i think i will like to make up for it by being in a school that focuses more on the design and aesthetic part of architecture.

Oct 31, 04 10:20 am
porterhouse

check out scad.edu
almost 50% are international students.

Oct 31, 04 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
Kadam- F

could explain more about yourselve, since it seems to be too little to determine what is architecture in your mine. I know it's too early this kind of question to someone who actually does not have any experience about architecture before. However, just briefly explain the incident that make u define architecture would be a right major for u might help. : ) also geography is also another factor that you need to concern as well... environment can shape your perception.

anyway, for a brief suggestion.. there are few decent underglad school in the states... if i have to reapply again.... these school will be in my list...

Cornell, Syracuse, RPI, SCI-ARC, Tulane, and Coper Union

Oct 31, 04 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
yuan

hey thanks guys for your comments. I don't think there was any particular incident that made me decide that i wanted to do architecture, but i guess i have always been an incessant doodler. i love to draw and sketch, that counts right? So i guess my only experience in architecture is the drawing part, and that's not even from any formal studio courses. All along, i have always followed the mainstream in my school, which is to go for the science courses. It is only like a while ago when i was thinking what i wanted to do in the future that i realised that it's about time i do something i really liked, and not just follow the crowd. After all, my whole career will revolve around this. And so i hope its not too late to go into architecture.

For the undergrad schools that you guys reccomended, i have to say that cost is a major factor, especially when you have to convert to us dollars from my home currency. So i dont think i could afford cornell and maybe syracuse. As for cooper, i don't think its open for international students studying outside of america. I am also thinking of SCI-arc, but i am a bit apprehensive. I ve been reading and glancing thru this forum, and pple say that sci arc's not in a very good environment ( is this correct?), and you have to find your own place to stay. But one plus point is that they have financial aid for international students. (once again can anybody verify this?)

Nov 1, 04 4:07 am  · 
 · 
MADianito

define "international student"...sorry just catched my eye the use of the term...

Nov 1, 04 6:40 am  · 
 · 
yuan

international student as in i am not an American citizen, and in my case, had my education all the way to high school outside the USA.

Nov 1, 04 7:19 am  · 
 · 
d-t

the misconception about cooper union not accepting international is not true. actually, large amount of international students studied there. you need U.S. address when applying, i.e. ask your extended family member/friend resides in U.S. to accept your mailing package when admission office sends you, i.e. home test or acceptance letter.
financial aid for incoming international student is seldom, but check for your home country on financial resources. rice uni. is another school should be consider, it's fairly a solid program and well-endowed.

Nov 1, 04 10:55 am  · 
 · 
Kadam- F

SCI-ARC bad environmental... umnn.. well.. if u get excited watching a rundown cityscape in many mainstream holywood movies.. u will enjoy studying at SCI-ARC... : ) But hey seriously, when i was there, I didn't feel insecure at all. Oh while i was there, I found out that many int. students were a transfered students, they normally went to study at some Community Colleges for a couple year before they transfer to SCI-ARC. From this way, you will save more money.... Oh another public school in cali that should be good is Cal State Poly @ Pomona...

And i guess since u r not in the States just yet, y don't u look around for a college in Canada or Australia... they have cheaper education from my understanding.

Nov 1, 04 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
yuan

I am also considering going to Australia, but i think i will prefer to go to the USA.
For SCI-arc, the tuition fees are not that bad right? If anything thats gonna raise the price, its going to be living costs plus boarding, i suppose. I think i will eventually apply to SCI-arc after all. Can i ask what's SCI-arc 's total and undergraduate student population. I want to know how big the school is. Thanks

How bout cal poly san luis obispo, i have seen it in many architecture rankings, whats the difference between slo and pomona?

Nov 2, 04 3:06 am  · 
 · 
slaprabbit

i wouldnt say the school is big, but just cause its not big doesnt make it a bad thing, infact in my opinion a smaller school would mostlikly help me.. i m currently inrolled in a community college (pasadena city college witch is located 13.1 mi east of sciarch). around 4 of my upper classmates are transfering their or that i think i know.. seems like a really nice school.

Nov 2, 04 4:39 am  · 
 · 
juicebox

With regards to the land of OZ. I am on the verge of completing the 5 year BArch here at Kansas State University and in retrospect would classify it as a quality and economical choice. The faculty currently consists of more thinkers than doers (i.e. professors that have more interest in academia vs. an interest in practicing), but that trend is gradually shifting. Here’s a breakdown of the curriculum:

first year: concentration on manipulation of the plane

second year: form and space

third year: tectonics

fourth year: structure, systems—second semester is spent in an internship or studying abroad

fifth year: making architecture—displaying a knowledge that one can effectively program, design, and develop a real building (a year-long studio)

link to our curriculum site
http://aalto.arch.ksu.edu/arch/undergrad/advising/curricula/current.html

One of the luxuries that Kansas State affords you is the ability to concentrate. As you might have already guessed, we are in Kansas—enough said. Kansas, in general seems to provide a substitute for the trendy, “cool” culture present elsewhere in the country. In Manhattan (KS, that is) we are surrounded by the Flint Hills and have a close proximity to some of the best examples of farm vernacular—a vernacular centered around simplicity and necessity (i.e. a building exists in a certain location because it has to be, or pitched roofs are a direct response to rain fall while maximizing internal space). Now before I make it sound like I am typing on a typewriter, wearing a cowboy hat, with a piece of straw between my teeth I should assure you that we are civilized bunch. I do believe, though, that before we as designers make the gesture to break rules or unsettle the foundations of architecture in lieu of something that looks cool, we have to understand what those items are. I believe that the farm vernacular with it consideration for the machine as well as common sense is quite effective at describing what architecture could stand for.

And then of course, beyond anything that a university or a culture offers, exists the individual. The study of architecture is unique in that one can make their education worth more (or less in some cases less) than they paid for it. I have never found a university’s architecture department that limits the time a student can spend in studio. In architecture especially you get out what you put into it. Not to make it sound like this is some completely profound thought, but it should at least be open for consideration.

Good luck in your decision—let me know if you have any other questions.

Nov 2, 04 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
yuan

Thanks juicebox, i have already applied to ksu as one of my choices, which i think its rather early to do so, since the deadline is around feb. Also i just that i think having more choices wont hurt, hence i am still open to the possiblities of other schools.

Nov 3, 04 3:19 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: