Archinect
anchor

Sections of Existing Building? How?

Zahu55

Tomorrow I have to create a site plan and two elevations of an existing plaza and it is a big one. For the plan I think I am going to try using AutoCAD and some images from google maps, or any other images I can get from research online.

Does anyone have any advice on how to create accurate sections just from visiting the plaza? I was thinking about taking pictures but of course they will be in perspective and even then I will not be able to get accurate heights. Are there any good online resources for sections? The location is the Christian Science Center in Boston for reference.

thanks in advance

Mar 15, 10 8:12 pm
LML

photos can get you started--the farther away the better--have a person in the view near the base for reference. Look for horizontal courses on the facade that you can measure directly, then count/calculate these courses as they rise. also, http://www.bing.com/maps/ may help, using the "bird's eye" mode to get some oblique aerial views--good for seeing roof elements.

Mar 15, 10 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

you can check with the city or county for site plans and maps. there might be a fee to get prints.

Mar 15, 10 11:51 pm  · 
 · 
Bruce Prescott

much as it pains me to do your homework a quick google turned up this link, which includes elevation drawings, though very small
great buildings

I would expct a good monograph of I.M. Pei's work from that period would include these drawings in a more legible form. Of course it is no substitute for going out there and counting bricks, but you don't have time for that so I am assuming your teacher intended you to work from published sources.

Mar 15, 10 11:59 pm  · 
 · 
Zahu55

thanks for the quick responses

I dont know why I didnt think to use greatbuildings.com, I have used it every other time. They may be small but I was able to convert the image into a vector using illustrator and scale it up however big I want. Now I have accuracy! thanks guys

Mar 16, 10 3:34 pm  · 
 · 

but seriously... i ran across this tutorial the other day and i wonder if it's useful/easy/accurate, or just a huge pain in the ass.

Mar 16, 10 4:12 pm  · 
 · 

but seriously... i ran across this tutorial the other day and i wonder if it's useful/easy/accurate, or just a huge pain in the ass.

Mar 16, 10 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
Zahu55

really cool tutorial evanc. looks like it would be helpful once I get the hang of it

Mar 17, 10 1:06 am  · 
 · 
Urbanist

hmm.. when I did this exercise as an undergrad it was Bethesda Terrace in Central park. And we actually did have to measure it with evanc's tool. I think that's the object of the exercise. Downloading the plans from google would defeat the purpose of the exercise. Dimensioning something big the old fashioned way makes one appreciate dimensions and scale ;)

Sorry to be archaic. but still.

Mar 18, 10 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

..of course, we first had to walk it with a tape rule.

Mar 18, 10 8:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: