Archinect
anchor

Working in Australia

BDA

I'm currently a 5th year architecture student in the U.S. and will e graduating in May.

I am interested in working in Australia. Does anyone know the best way to go about this? Can any architects working in Australia share their current experiences?

Thanks!

Mar 11, 10 5:45 pm
induct

Probably best to visit over here and go to firms you are interested in. Also research the different visa options between the US and Aus. Otherwise it would be shortterm or you would have to find someone to sponsor you.

Mar 23, 10 12:15 am  · 
 · 
LOOP!

induct, do you think contract work is a possibility for those on the temp. visa? I see a lot of the jobs advertised online, I just wonder how willing firms are to hire someone from overseas for a short-term gig like that.

Mar 23, 10 3:04 am  · 
 · 
dlb

you need to ascertain if you can get a short-term work visa.

certainly for europeans, it is possible to get a 6 month temporary work visa. this allows work in office for up to about 6 months (sometimes longer) with time at the end to travel around the country.

it does prevent you from staying longer - employed - but if you are just interested in being in Australia for a period of time, of gaining some work experience and then leaving, there are mechanisms for this.

assuming you are following this official process, it will not be difficult for offices to employ you - assuming you have the skill set they are looking for.

Mar 23, 10 9:56 am  · 
 · 
LOOP!

Australia does have a list on their immigration site saying which countries have the temp. work visa deal. I have a friend there right now that went down with the temp visa (which only allows work at one place for 6 months) and is going through the process of having his company sponser him to work longer.
dlb, did you go to Australia on the temp. work visa and if you did, would you mind sharing your experience with it? Or if you'd like, how you feel about the job market for architects in Australia in general?

Mar 23, 10 11:27 am  · 
 · 
BDA

Thanks for the responses everyone. They are extremely helpful.

Mar 23, 10 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
goodsA

I worked in Aussie for a year. Look into a "Gradate Program" Firms in Aussie consider their "interns' of recent Uni grads to be "Graduate Architects". Search around Melbourne or Syd perhaps to see if there are firms looking for recent graduates. I began my work on a work/holiday visa and transfered to a sponsored visa once I proved my value. Good luck!

Mar 24, 10 12:00 am  · 
 · 
richa1986

Dear all,

Hello! I am a Council Of Architecture , India registered architect with 5 + years of experience. Wherein, I have worked for a small scale architecture and Interior Design studio, As project architect for a housing project and a nature cure center with a developer and as an in-house Architect- Interior Design for a developer group where I took care of interior fit-out in the mall owned by developer, Fitout of Sample houses and co-orditaion with consultants. Apart from that I have been doing some independent projects where I was running a one -woman- army. I have done somewhere around 30 Interior design projects of which 90% are residences, 2-3 offices, a school and 2 Architecture projects completed. Another 2 bungalow projects are in drawing stage will be completed with interiors in a year. Many more projects are in pipeline.
By one-woman - army.. I mean, I was doing Designing, drawings, drafting, detailing, material selection, site supervision all by myself, which gave me a full and clear view of how a project gets executed side by side increasing my capacity to multi-task

Well that was my intro, (I hope everyone is not bored). What I would like to know is, With
the above backgroud, what are the possibilities of landing up in a good job in Australia.
(I have started a PR subclass 189 preparation). Which cities are good for my kind of profile. And What pay I may expect?

Guys, please help me , cause its a crucial desicion for me to move to Australia with my husband( a mechanical engineer with masters and 5yrs exp) and my little one who is 3.

Jan 12, 14 9:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: