Archinect
anchor

Community Radio

bigness

I am currently developing a project for a community radio, a spart of a larger regeneration strategy for an area in north london.
The idea of a community radio is pretty new tome, and i gather that they are pretty well developed in the states.

could anyone give me examples of a succesful CR, events being promoted and what services re given to the community through the radio itself? i guess thi is more about your personal experiences that architectural ones, but you guys are the largest resource of US residents i know!

thanks a lot!

Oct 30, 04 8:29 am
stephanie

i tried to post this earlier but the board was all weird. so now i am trying again....

here are three websites:
KUOI
portland radio authority
boise community radio

i would be interested to know what the regulations are in london regarding making a home on the airwaves. here, to legally do such a thing you need a license, which is not always easy to obtain. the only linked radio station that i have really been involved with was KUOI, it was at my college and it was like a community station since we had mostly local programming (save news programs such as democracy now) and dj spots were open to the public and it was a completely free format, which meant that djs could play whatever the hell they wanted. it was just student-run.
after i left that area i moved into a house that happened to have a pirate radio station (not the one in portland though, that is just one that my friends in portland are involved with) i think that they guy who had the transmitter was trying to get a license, but, for whatever reason never did, so we just pirated, it was a lot of fun, albeit totally illegal.
in my experience it seems like community radio is a great idea, but really challenging to come to fruition in the united states, hence the piracy. maybe others here have had different experiences, but those have been mine...

Oct 30, 04 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
bigness

all you need to know about licencing in the uk should be
here.

thanks for the sites...
did the radio at your college do anything for the community? running workshops, promoting discussions about relevant issues, organise events...?

thanks!

Oct 31, 04 10:56 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: