Archinect
anchor

Photoshop better than Illustrator

jaja

So, I've been using the last couple of weeks adobe illustrator as a replacement for Photoshop mainly for coloring elevations, sections, site plans and making presentation boards. Even though the results are stunning, I find it extremely time consuming. Has anyone switched back to Photoshop because of this?

Oct 29, 04 6:00 pm
alphanumericcha

I haven't used illustrator yet, but my firm does do almost all of its flat presentation work in Photoshop. Tell me a little about why illustrator is good when you get a chance, and why time consuming!

Oct 29, 04 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
Bula

I love Illustrator. It is great for vector control, drawing & presentation...though it is quite time consuming compared to PS for simple renderings. I tend to use it for the level of control and accuracy.

Oct 29, 04 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
Tectonic

What's better an apple or an orange?

Oct 29, 04 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
bUbBLe

you cannot compare those two, they have different purpose..

Oct 29, 04 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Illustrator is the best, and fastest, for filling in line work. For one, you can snap to the lines, so the fills will be perfect. The next advantage is that it can easily be changed. All colors and lines can easily be edited, whereas in PS it's slow and you cannot easily change things.
Also, Il is vector based, allowing you to scale things without any loss of quality, with PS, which is bitmap based, you cannot.

Apples to oranges. Each are great at what they do. I could not get by with just one.

Oct 29, 04 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
jaja

In Photoshop: If you want to color 50 lots in an urban plan, you can use the magic tool. At the end when all the lots are selected you can use the bucket tool and in one step color all the lots.

In Illustrator you would have to use the line tool with filling and click on all end points to fill the lot, unless the lot is imported as a closed polyline. Making polylines in a urban or site plan before importing in illustrator would be an option, but still very time consuming. Doing the same in sections or floor is almost impossible.

Oct 30, 04 6:05 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: