Archinect
anchor

mexico city

rupa

I'm off to mexico for 3 weeks, and will spend a good part of it in mexico city - apart from the most obvious/touristic destinations, any hints as where to go to look for good new architecture?
thanks

Oct 29, 04 7:42 am
beatmeofficer

i went to UNAM's architecture dept. and bought a contemporary guide to architecture in mexico d.f. called arquitectura contemporanea. its a great book, written in spanish, complete with maps (which you will undoubtedly need). the university is a must-see, plus i had a good chat with some students hanging around in the bookstore. WARNING: be careful exploring for barragan's buildings as some are in very bad areas. mexico city is fucking mindblowing, do not miss the siqueros and orozco murals, casa azul and trotsky's casa, complete with bulletholes and the desk upon which he was bludgeoned to death. also drink pulque (sp?), if you can.

Oct 30, 04 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
bryan boyer

When I was in the DF I checked out as many Barragan houses as they would let me. There's a little orange book that serves as a useful guide and I've also written up some of my notes which may be us use to you. In addition to the Barragan stuff and what has been mentioned already, you may also want to Candela's Los Manantiales in Xochimilco and Juan O'Gorman's copy of the Ozenfant house for Diego Rivera & Frida Kahlo. If you do make it to the univ., Mathais Goeritz's Espacio Escultorico is cool too.

Oct 30, 04 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

lucky bastard! i love mexico city. last time i was there was over a year ago and i've been dying to go back. i agree with the posts above. you should definitely check out el zocalo which is mexico city's central plaza. while there go to the palacio nacional which has huge murals by diego rivera on the complete history of mexico. also in el zocalo, the templo mayor, which was the main aztec temple of tenochtitlan, and the national cathedral which was built from stones from the ruins of the temples of tenochtitlan. also, the polyforum has great siquieros murals. this book may help.

Oct 30, 04 10:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: