Archinect
anchor

Decision for M.Arch 1 - input would be appreciated!

shte89

Hey everyone, I was admitted to the following schools for the M.Arch 1 : GSAPP, SCI-Arc, UCLA (23k entering scholarship) and Pratt (21k, renewable for every year)

When I applied for these schools I didn't know what to expect but I certainly did not expect to have so many options and for that I am very excited! So before the results, GSAPP and SCI-Arc were my top choices/programs, but the scholarships from UCLA and Pratt are making me reconsider...

I decided to attend the unis' open houses to try to see in person if one of them is clearly the best fit for me and at the same time I am trying to narrow down my choices! 

Financially I think UCLA and Pratt are comparable and probably UCLA is a better program overall.

It is harder for me to choose between gsapp and sci-arc , because I do find sci-arc to be a very exciting place (even though I haven't seen it in person yet) and I thought it would be a unique experience. However (after hours of reading archinect posts) I have realized it is also a polarizing school. I definitely wouldn't want my education to be superficial but I would like to be in a forward thinking, avant-garde environment.

As for gsapp, from what I 've seen,  I really like the student work and I can't deny that the ivy name has a certain appeal! However it is even more expensive than sci-arc (and perhaps the living costs are higher too?) and they do not offer scholarships to international students like myself, so if I wanted to earn extra money I would have to take a teaching assistant job. I wouldn't want this to affect my school performance I imagine the workload is already very heavy as it is!

Supposedly sci-arc is still deciding on whether I will be granted a scholarship or not (by now I think it's not very probable). Generally, sci-arc and gsapp are still very attractive to me but I am afraid I might be making a mistake by turning down ucla. I am not sure if the educational difference between the schools justifies the extra cost.

I would appreciate your opinions and sorry for the wall of text :)

Mar 19, 14 6:54 pm

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: