Archinect
anchor

Opening Ceremony

2step

I have to say that despite the little mix up at the end I thought the opening ceremony was pretty good. Rather than try to out do China they did a pretty intimate routine where the indoor stadium became a moving canvas for the different sketches. Even on TV I felt in the action. The colors, music and scene changes were expert. The way the projectors made the stadium floor turn into wheat fields and ice was spectacular. When I saw the waves I was waiting for something to do with the inland seas of the Great Lakes which brings me to my point.

The one thing I noticed conspicuously absent though were references to Canadian history itself, the Canada of the Fur traders, Loggers, Oil Drillers and Industrial Great Lakes cities. Did the producers choose to leave out the other half of the Canadian story in favor of an imaginary Canada and if so why? Is it embarrassing to show Canada's relationship to the natural world in any other terms than a Pangia complex and dare not touch on the massive natural resources Canada is steward of? Canada should be proud its such an industrial giant and probably the best country for effective natural resource management. Its nothing to be ashamed of Canada.

Feb 13, 10 4:27 pm
jesus.saves

40mil vs 400 mil

Feb 14, 10 9:57 pm  · 
 · 
jesus.saves

how did they do the floor scenes though?

Feb 15, 10 3:25 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

but Wayne Gretzky? really? i heard that this is Canada's true hero Fox...but Gretz? he's more American than Canadian.

Feb 15, 10 7:11 am  · 
 · 

beta, no way dude. i watched him when i was a wee kid, before he got traded to LA...

terry fox was amazing and i was there when he went through town and we helped raise money and all that, but it was still cool to see wayne there at the olympics. it is always cool to see childhood heroes.

Feb 15, 10 7:56 am  · 
 · 
zzzzzzzzzzz

kd lang REPRESENT

Feb 15, 10 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

jump, i love Gretz, but it just seemed too American. i mean Ali, world known, stood up to the US govt, brought attention to Parkinsons, is loved by the world, i get it; hell the man fought for me when i was in the hospital -that's what i tell myself. i love the man, he's a personal hero. i guess i was expecting something similar, especially when the crit i participated in had a juror that explained terry's story and it gave me goose bumps.

Feb 15, 10 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
2step

Betas here trolling for arguments, Gretz is too American, Ali would be better because He renounced the American Government. Get a life loser.

Feb 15, 10 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i = troll.

Klamp-ass = Sarah Palin

did you read that from your right hand, because your left was flinging shit at other monkeys again??

Feb 15, 10 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

KKKlamp-ass, i own you, own you.

Feb 15, 10 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

My spouse is a native Canadian and she thought the opening ceremony made Canada look like a joke, particularily the over emphasis on the native culture. It seemed an awful lot like they were kow-towing to the protests and complaints by the First Nations people. (I'm sure I'll get called a racist now given the recent rhetoric on Archinect.)

The one thing I noticed conspicuously absent though were references to Canadian history itself, the Canada of the Fur traders, Loggers, Oil Drillers and Industrial Great Lakes cities.

Agreed. Canada had a global stage to represent their country for all of it's greatness. If the ceremony was supposed to be an image of Canada it fell short given what I've seen of the country from Halifax to Victoria.

As for Gretsky, I called that one. Like it or not, he's hands down the most well known Canadian athlete. Amongst friends we had been joking about what Canadian Hollywood star would light the flame. IMO, Gretsky is more Canadian than your average movie star, i.e. at least he played for Team Canada, and got the Oilers 4 cup wins.

Feb 15, 10 2:05 pm  · 
 · 

I called the great one too for lighting the tourch. I remember being Calgary the week before his wedding - every sign/billboard that could, was dedicated to him.

Seems that the choreographers took notes from the Sydney games with their huge focus on the aborigine culture - hence the first nation theme.

While Leonard Cohen and Joni Mitchell don't quite get as poppy as Men At Work, that Ryan Adams opening song is driving me batty since I can't get those lyrics out of my head. (but where was Neil Young?).

Feb 15, 10 2:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: