Archinect
anchor

Anyone just love the show Overhaulin' on the Discovery Channel?

jesus.saves

Have you seen Chip Foose draw? He gots mad skills yo!

Feb 12, 10 2:47 am
montagneux

no

Feb 12, 10 2:48 am  · 
 · 
montagneux

and isn't that on tlc?

Feb 12, 10 2:49 am  · 
 · 
jesus.saves

oh is it on tlc too? I am watching it on discovery maybe they both show it

Feb 12, 10 2:51 am  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

i like it those guys do some beautiful work restoring them there cars.

that pimp my ride thing is entertaining but they always throw in such over-the-top stuff like a cotton candy machine in the trunk or once they took a pickup truck and lined the flatbed with flat screen monitors and added hydrolics to lift the flatbed up and i was like 'what if you wanna throw some 2x4's or some drywall in the back there that would mess everything up?!?' but anyway .. i'd like to see some of those rides a year after the pimpin' and see the condition they are in .. kinda like those extreme home makeovers it would be interesting to see if they are kept up.

the one thing that bugs me about overhaulin' is the pranks they pull. i wouldn't mind if it was like punk'd where you are freaked out for a half an hour or whatever but on overhaulin' they gotta make you think your precious car has been stolen for an entire week. and it's often a really sad story like it was the guy's dad bought the classic car brand new and the guy's dad died a year ago and the guy has been trying to restore it and now it's gone .. i just think it's cruel when they do that. that's my only beef, really.

Feb 12, 10 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Also "Motor City Motors" -- there seem to be at least three of these shows that are essentially the same thing: Someone needs a vehicle completely made over (or made from scratch) in five days.

Let's vote on which is more like real life: an unrealistic deadline, with problems of supply, skill, and/or incomplete design strategy -- or, the "human interest" side story of the good-for-nothing beginner/gofer/would-be-auto body star who is on the verge of being fired for incessant incompetence ?

Feb 12, 10 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

That said, of course it's fun to see a bunch of guys attack a "classic" vehicle and rebuild it. If I didn't know how a top was chopped before, I sure do now !

Feb 12, 10 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
erjonsn

I used to watch this show, 3-4 years ago. I am more of a working class car restoration person... so this show never won my heart.

Feb 12, 10 10:15 pm  · 
 · 
binary

it takes more than a week to really get a beater up to par..... too many issues at hand.......plus it's not really that hard to pull a motor/drop in a new one and slap a fancy paint job on it.....

Feb 12, 10 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Yes -- I would be more interested in less glitz, and more. . .what ?

I've just seen another episode of "Poirot" on PBS -- and that delicious cycle-fendered Lagonda that Captian Hastings pilots with such familiar confidence. Lucky actor !

Feb 12, 10 10:54 pm  · 
 · 
jesus.saves

and now have you seen this new show Howe and Howe tech where they design these prototypes for the military? a lot of engineering but they look like something out of popular mechanics

Feb 13, 10 1:42 am  · 
 · 
SDR

Is anything real any more ? Is everything manufactured for "the media" ? Did "reality TV" mark the end of reality ?

Feb 13, 10 2:08 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: