anchor

Are You Employed?

won and done williams

yes (* not so much of late.)

Feb 12, 10 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
JWDesigner

Yes

but as a private tutor..still interviewing, socializing and sending out resumes in the architecture field. i wont give up but its very depressing! relocated to NY from FL and the prospects have improved greatly.

Feb 12, 10 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
JWDesigner

Yes

but as a private tutor..still interviewing, socializing and sending out resumes in the architecture field. i wont give up but its very depressing! relocated to NY from FL and the prospects have improved greatly.

Feb 12, 10 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
roobqt

NO

Feb 12, 10 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
Pathetique

NO

Feb 12, 10 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
elwood p suggs

No

Feb 14, 10 9:57 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

yes.

i was placed on part time since mid january. barely hanging on. meanwhile, my boss and I are taking the time to shuffle and organize the office. our one and only project was postponed by the client last november. we had a couple of projects that was nearing the end of construction. one is now completed the other is almost done...

i worked one day last week and most likely one day this week. been using my savings to pay for bills...if we don't recieve anything new and my savings dwindles close to nothing then i might go ahead with plan b or c...

Feb 15, 10 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
roobqt

Strlt - apply for unemployement - if you're working that few days a week, you should qualify for some UI.....

Feb 15, 10 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
wakiko

NOPE BUT IM TRYING TO START MY OWN THING

Feb 15, 10 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
intexas

wakiko - good idea. I concluded long ago the profession is geared to the entrepreneur and getting your own thing going. Unfortunately I had a family to support so needed a steady pay check, but now I see even more clearly that it's much better than having your career and life totally at the whim of some mangement committee. My friends who either tried it, or who are still on their own, agree it's the happiest they have been.

Feb 15, 10 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
pmarch

yes

Feb 15, 10 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
_MLD

yes

Feb 16, 10 12:19 am  · 
 · 
architectonik

no

Feb 16, 10 4:34 am  · 
 · 
binary

no...not as in an employee

yes...as in scraping up any work i can from construction to building.. you need a dog house??????

Feb 16, 10 4:49 am  · 
 · 
Phantom

No

Feb 16, 10 4:52 am  · 
 · 
you're smarter

yes-ish - officially laid off but working half time as sub-contractor (no benefits)

Feb 16, 10 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

yes

Feb 16, 10 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

.....and working in architecture

the firm i was at previously went under, and our office started our own firm, so there was a month or so of transition time

Feb 16, 10 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

marmkid, that's great. If you don't mind sharing, how large was your firm that went under, and how many people started the new office? Did your new office have some existing projects to get you going, or existing client relationships by which to get some work? How was the transition? What were some of the key staff that helped you get the new business started?

Feb 16, 10 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

the original firm was about 200 or so, over a couple different cities

our office here has 25-30 maybe

The principals in our office all had experience running firms, so they pooled together and formed this new one. Our office was actually pretty busy and had a lot of work, so bringing our existing clients and projects gave us a decent work load to start with.

Existing client relations transitioned pretty smoothly, as we didnt let any existing work suffer or stop despite the transition. As far as i have heard, there hasnt been a client who has had much of a problem with the new firm. Nothing really is changing in terms of the teams working on their projects, so business for them was pretty much the same

Feb 16, 10 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
urbanDC

no, for almost a year

Feb 16, 10 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

Nice marmkid, congrats to your office... Thanks for the info, that's awesome that your office was able to make that transition. How did the transition work from the standpoint of administrative functions and your marketing staff? Was it mostly architects that moved to the new office, the design staff diversifying to pick up some of the office administrative functions, accounting etc. of the larger firm that went under?

Feb 16, 10 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

thanks
I feel that i really lucked out during all of this

our one marketing person came with us
luckily she was in our office already, as not every city had a marketing staff

basically everyone already in our office stayed on with the new firm, so the transition was essentially, business as usual

but yeah, we all had to help out with some differing admin stuff while things got set up
It was actually pretty good experience

Feb 16, 10 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
roobqt

bRink - your old firm had 200 people, in several cities, and it completely closed? Wow. Good that your principals took what they knew and created their own thing... principals (VP's etc.) are practically run the business anyway (bringing in clients, maintaining staff). Seems the only thing the parent firm provides are some backup staff and equipment.

I guess some 'good' things happen in the worst of times!

Feb 16, 10 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

Not me... marmkid's firm. Thanks for the info marmkid, best of luck to you and the new office!

Feb 16, 10 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

that is partially correct, roobqt

the idea was that there could be collaborations between the different city offices
basically when you bid a project, you have a team of 200, and the associated experiences and expertise of all the members of the firm, rather than just the 20 or so

but given the economy and partly the business model itself, things did not work out

and lucky for me this office had several good principals who wanted to go this route rather than just go off individually and let everyone fend for themselves

thanks bRink!
so far so good!

Feb 16, 10 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
roobqt

ahhh... well, good luck with it all... sounds like a good group to be with....

Feb 16, 10 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
kahnarchy

no, dos it count if I don't have a degree?

Feb 16, 10 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
sharkswithlasers

yes

Feb 16, 10 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

yes.

left a 1/2 time job for a slight reduction in pay, but really enjoying new office & plenty of work

husband no.

he is in construction (but arch grad) & just finished up a restaurant job. hasn't looked for new work yet.

Feb 17, 10 4:14 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

r.a. i miss you here, but if you got work, all the more power to you. btw, i like the work on your site, kudos!

Feb 17, 10 5:09 am  · 
 · 
kelly peoples

yes...

i graduated last may but am doing intern work at a small engineering firm. there are no architects on staff, so i haven't earned any IDP credit. it's not ideal, but it pays the bills and is enabling me to save for grad school this fall. in the meantime, i'm preparing to apply for a bunch of summer internships... hoping the market won't this bad when i graduate again several years from now.

Feb 17, 10 8:56 am  · 
 · 
charles.ellinwood

no* :(

i was almost employed, but the job fell through because the project got canned. found it on archinect though.

Feb 17, 10 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

no

am not really part of the whole architecture thing (planner)

really unemployable at this point, i think ive slid into full on crazytown.

functional hobo/vagrant now.

not really looking for a real job anymore. who wants to hire a vagrant? quit my bookkeeping gigs.

kind of waiting to die or thinking about going to jail.

Feb 17, 10 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

thank goodness you can still make time to post on archinect during that busy schedule!!

Feb 17, 10 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

that was bait to see if anyone would use an opportunity to wail on the homeless.

and they would.

you're a despicable asshole.

Feb 17, 10 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

uh oh, someone forgot the sarcasm button!

Feb 17, 10 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
roobqt

Unicorn - I totally hear ya... don't die - even this f#)@(ing job market isn't worth it dying over.

We're all under a lot of underlying stress - the kind that you don't even know is there, being unemployed so long you get numb to the low feelings... I'm usually pretty low key, but out of nowhere I'll blow up over the simplest thing...

Feb 17, 10 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
VMcQ

NO

Feb 18, 10 3:04 pm  · 
 · 

So loremipsum, what is the final tally on this? I'm kind curious.

I might start one of these surveys addressing the "underemployed" aspect of this market.

Feb 28, 10 2:05 pm  · 
 · 

Side Note: This thread was very interesting, and I wanted to continue a similiar one which tried to capture the part-time aspect somewhat. Please refer here and add some data:
http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=96338_0_42_0_C

Feb 28, 10 3:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: