Archinect
anchor

MLA @ UVa, Berkeley or RISD? need advise

pimn

Hi,everyone!

I've been accepted into several MLA 1 (3 yr) programs and I think I will be choosing from UVA, Berkeley and RISD.

I'm from China, so can't go to the open houses. Need more information on each of these programs, please.

UVa offers $9250 for the first year and the tuition and fees are lower than the other two, so it's the most affordable obviously. I heard their program is very solid and they have relatively a small number of students (12-15), so might get more attention and resources at UVa. But the school is located in a small town, I'm worrying about getting internships, or it might cost me extra $ and a lot of energy to relocate in a big city in vacations to get internships. Also personally, I prefer to live in a big city, don't know if the preference will stay the same when I get to America.

I was thrilled to get Berkeley's email since I never expected to get in the program. I think the location is perfect and the school has a strong reputation, so if I cannot get a job in the US, Berkeley's name might help me a little back in China I guess. But then I heard Berkeley puts more emphasis on theory rather than design. Besides the living expenses at Berkeley is really high. It seems not much Chinese got into their program so cannot get much information about what the program is like.

RISD was originally my dream school for its reputation in art and design. The concerns are 1) too expensive, might get funding but covers little tuition; 2)too many Chinese in the program already  3)the design is too artistic and unpractical.....I don't know if it's true.

Thanks in advance!

Mar 15, 14 11:20 am
doug_las
UVA
Mar 15, 14 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
RhinoTRAP

UVA is known for being stronger in design.
Berkeley seems to be more focused on ecology and social effects these days.

I know little about RISD's program other than that it shares the same artistic strengths as the rest of RISD. Setting-wise, It would be a nice middle ground between the Bay Area and Charlottesville. I know nothing about the LA job market or compensation in China, but if you'll be staying in the US, then go for the lower cost, especially if it's a stellar program like UVA's.

Best of luck!

Apr 26, 14 4:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: