Distant Unicorn

Why don't you all just start referring to them as "white niggers?"

Jan 27, 10 12:40 pm  · 
 · 

the octopus was full of judgement.

Jan 27, 10 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

That's really your clever diffusing quip?

Jan 27, 10 12:47 pm  · 
 · 

oh come on, it's effing hilarious.

Jan 27, 10 12:56 pm  · 
 · 

way to take the fun out of this one. i'm out.

Jan 27, 10 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?
Still recovering from broken trust, neither wanted to be the first to try the eggs.

Jan 27, 10 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
alexstitt

I'm on team funny for this one. I dont quite get what unicorn is so upset about. i'm sure when it dawns on me I'll be furious at you dot, but until then me likey.

· 
drums please, Fab?
 · 
alexstitt

this one takes the cake for me so far: "Lying on his back, watching the passing clouds, he worried over the Nathaniel Hawthorne lookalike’s role in this grim threesome."

Jan 27, 10 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Love this. dot, very funny octopus comment too.

Jan 27, 10 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

dot you rock !!

Jan 27, 10 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

Unicorn Slaughter is sad because his house looks like an elementary school. And all the children have died.

Jan 27, 10 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
Cacaphonous Approval Bot

or perhaps our one-horned angry friend was thinking of this

Jan 27, 10 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

No, I'm tired of this double standard.

People on here (well and everywhere) like to militantly enforce political correctness... yet, at the same time, it's still prevalent in other forms.

It's one thing to call out blatant hipsterisms. It's quite another to misappropriate that term to magazine photos that lack cultural or situational reference.

This kind of comes off as, "let's laugh at white people!"

I say this while fully knowing that "hipsterism" is not comprised totally 100% of white people-- it is, however, a white phenomenon-- and that it is not expressly about skin color. One should point on that none of those examples really has anyone non-white (except maybe the woman in the pink shirt?) individuals in them.

It is, however, about a minority of American society who has thoroughly rejected "invented" white [generic] cultural norms. So, like any other facet of America's glorious history... it is another "us-versus-them" creation of an enemy that one group measures themselves against.

So, yeah... I'm kind of tired of labeling people who are not or may not be expressively hipsters to turn them into a butt of a joke.

I'm sorry hipsters reject common cultural values. I'm sorry hipsters trouble your white lives so much. I'm sorry hipsters have gone so out of their way to create a thoroughly unmarketable culture.

But... yeah!... LETS FUCKING LAUGH AT WHITE PEOPLE LIKE THIS IS THE 1920S AND THEY'RE ALL FUCKING UNCLE TOMS.

Jan 27, 10 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory
Indeed. White people are hilarious!

Jan 27, 10 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

Man, unicorn, I bet you're more fun than a barrel of monkeys; go out and get some fresh air or something. The sarcasm in those captions is more directed at the cold or "funky" interiors and Dwell's pretentious take on how one lives in them. But hey, why not take things the worst possible way every time, it makes life so much more fun. I bet this site that will make your day.

Jan 27, 10 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

wow, dots/dashes, you just beat me to it!

Jan 27, 10 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

Sorry we derailed your fixed gear Unicorn.

Jan 27, 10 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
alexstitt

"hipster" = very weak and general term. agreed. and "hipster" was probably the incorrect word to use here. I dont see "hipster" when looking @ these photos. I just see cookie-cutter "green" architecture staged/occupied with a sense of "cool-yuppieism".

Jan 27, 10 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Those are sites I don't really have problems with.

I love Look at This Fucking Hipster and Stuffwhitepeoplelike-- because they're clever and or brutally honest.

"The sarcasm in those captions is more directed at the cold or "funky" interiors and Dwell's pretentious take on how one lives in them."

Exactly.

I'm calling out attaching a culturally or racially charged term to "making fun of modern design" blog when hipsterism has little to nothing to do with this.

To be honest, I could give a fuck either way. I'm mirroring how the people on this site act when someone intentionally or unintentionally attaches a charged gender or socioeconomic term or concept to a sentence or concept.

Merely demonstrating that is a two-way street, bucko. If PC is socially accpetable here, why don't we ever police vitriol against white subcultures counter to the cultural norm?

Jan 27, 10 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
rob(E)

man, im clearly not hipster enough....bc that is one of the funniest things ive ever seen!

"He sipped his tepid coffee and pondered how to tell her that, in fact, the pants made the sack dress even less appealing."

that is inspired satire my friends. a skinny leg jeans crack and awful sack dress crack rolled into one delicious one liner! genius!. Ps, unicorn get over yourself, if you were a hipster then you would be so blase' about it any way.

Jan 27, 10 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

thank you unicorn slaughter, i couldn't agree more.

Jan 27, 10 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

Unicorn...is that you?

Jan 27, 10 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

No, comme de garcons has never made acid washed jeans.

Jan 27, 10 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
2step

It may be un PC to say this but the continued fragmentation of the country into smaller and smaller ethnic and subgroups / cultures is an attempt to De-WASP American culture. It has been an outright sacred goal of the ultra left to eliminate Protestant, Northern European Hegemony from America, for what reason I dont know. But it is a deep and unrelenting undercurrent in out popular culture and media and no doubt subconciously expressed. I still think these are funny but I do understand Unicorn's position. This would'nt be so funny if it were poking fun at 20 something, trust fund NY jewish kids lounging about in sleek interiors or Black folks living large on the front stoop, there is a double standard.

Jan 27, 10 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
davvid

I'm pretty sure the people in those pictures are called "yuppies" -- not "hipsters"

Jan 27, 10 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

In keeping with the times, are any of these people facing foreclosure? or do they all have trust funds?

Jan 27, 10 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

I'd like to point out the irony that the person complaining about the misuse of "culturally and racially charged" terms posted this delightful creation he/she made in SketchUp yesterday:

Jan 27, 10 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

I'm just saying...

Jan 27, 10 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

..more likely, all of these hipster Hamptonites lost their money to Bernie Madoff. That's why they're all unhappy.

Jan 27, 10 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

..more likely, all of these hipster Hamptonites lost their money to Bernie Madoff. That's why they're all unhappy.

Jan 27, 10 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
2step

That is amazing

Jan 27, 10 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

oops sorry.

Jan 27, 10 3:01 pm  · 
 · 

really I took it more as a critique on the practices of architectural photographers and magazine editors than on the people themselves.

Jan 27, 10 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

i didn't realize that the word h**ster was so racially and culturally charged.

as far as i can tell h$%sters call in all shapes, races, and cultures.

Jan 27, 10 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

what i'm offended about is the insensitivity shown towards unicorns and those that love unicorns.

Jan 27, 10 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
jealous of the world

Hipster: The Dead End of Western Civilization...

hipsterarticle

Jan 27, 10 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

Jan 27, 10 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
SoulBrother#1

I just think this entire post is hiliarious.
People talking about "white niggers"
The left attacking WASPs....pure comedy

Jan 27, 10 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

That's the SHOP architects map of Lower Manhattan and Brooklyn, by the way.

Jan 27, 10 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

nobody has mentioned the trustafarian sub-tribe of hipsterdom:

Jan 27, 10 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
prairie school drop out
hipster olympics
Jan 27, 10 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i love this blog although i feel that is missed named. Perhaps it should be called Difficult Listening Hour after the Laurie Anderson piece. Because really its less about Hipsterism and more about the Aesthetic of The Uncomfortable which is supported by the "Contemptesque" posings of the figures in the photos.

Jan 27, 10 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

dude should spend more time worrying about that bush on his chest.

Jan 27, 10 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

and she her dark hair roots....this isn't happening.

Jan 27, 10 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

Oh my god, this is awesome.

Unhappy hipsters, though? Title is totally off, ugh.

Jan 27, 10 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

do High WASPs really do Modernism, though?

Jan 27, 10 10:51 pm  · 
 · 

this thread has become overloaded with irony...as any good hipster would have it.

Jan 28, 10 12:06 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

they should have called it "unhappy women"...would have been just as wrong as "unhappy hipsters" yet, strangely enough, more accurate.

Jan 28, 10 8:36 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: