Archinect
anchor

looking for a structural system for my freeform canopy

Zoster

hi all !

i am looking for a structural system to build the roof on my thesis project.
a preliminary shape can be seen in the image below. don't mind the poles, they are probably gonna be branched or splayed towards the top.

please name a few structural systems that could be used to build the canopy. it has to be light (or fairly light), not necessarily cheap (it's a school project after all), and it can be opaque or transparent or anything in between.

hope you guys can help, thanks a lot for the interest!

Jan 26, 10 2:10 pm
Zoster

sorry about the cropped image, but i couldn't find an edit button to modify the post. anyway just click it to see it full.
thanks!

Jan 26, 10 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

It looks like a cable net to me. Look at the work of Frei Otto and Jorg Schlaich and specifically the Munich Olympic village of 1972.

Jan 26, 10 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
Zoster

thanks for the quick response! unfortunately, i don't think such a structure is possible though in my case. Those are mechanically prestressed cable nets that require certain shape language that doesn't fit the shapes i'm looking for (i have 2 interfering waves)

Jan 26, 10 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

Hmm.. not to stifle your creativity, but perhaps you should reconsider your geometry. Membrane structures, of which cable nets are a subset, need to follow certain form finding procedures in order to achieve stability. You'll notice when looking at those images that the entire structure is in tension and does not contain any areas where the structure has obvious slack or looseness. Failure to keep the fields in tension will result in rippling, waving, flapping, tearing and general failure of the surface as a structure, it will instead be more of an flag or tent, arbitrarily tacked down and subject to the whims of nature and whatever other forces may find it.

You could always go with some sort of rigid system, in which the surface is a solid surface held by various columns, but then I think you'll have lost any sense of lightness and a flowing form. If you do want to go that way, i'd look at projects more like Frank Gerhy's band shell in Millennium park, Chicago. You think about it and see what you come up with.

Jan 26, 10 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
Zoster

Synergy, i think you got me wrong, I was saying the same thing as you, that i do NOT have a membrane structure so a frei otto-ish approach isn't suited. i am indeed looking for some sort of rigid system.

Jan 26, 10 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

Ahh i see. Well in that case, you can probably do it many different ways, though many of them won't be especially lightweight. It could be done with rolled steel sections or some sort of space frame. Really whatever it is will most likely be extremely time consuming to detail and construct and almost certainly very expensive, don't you think?

Then again, Eladio Dieste managed to do some pretty interesting curved forms using prestressed masonry. Though this leads back to a lot of those pesky form finding issues. The simple fact is, that if your geometry isn't going to provide any inherent stability, you'll be relying on members cantilevering and need to provide supports anywhere the cantilevering action isn't enough.

Jan 26, 10 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
AquillatheNun

i am thinking magnets
they are man's best friend forget the dog

Jan 26, 10 9:44 pm  · 
 · 
Zoster

i think i'm gonna go with something like shigheru ban's pompidou center
http://www.iaacblog.com/2009-2010/MAAphase1/digitalfabrication/?p=1293

Jan 29, 10 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
AquillatheNun

balloons and concrete; balloons and concrete

Jan 29, 10 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
AquillatheNun

bucky would be proud

Jan 29, 10 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
Zoster

we get it, you're very witty.

Jan 29, 10 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I always us "Sky Hooks".....They are so hard to detect in a Thesis Project.

Jan 29, 10 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
AquillatheNun

LOL. they worked for my project in switzerlandia
I am telling you they can work

Jan 29, 10 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
Zoster

you two should go on a date...

Jan 29, 10 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
AquillatheNun

you ask for our opinion and then we get shot down?
I am telling you, magnets for their reverse polarity
and balloons and concrete for your curves, check out some of the old dome churches with inflatables and concrete it is an old skool concept but it will work
or if you want you can continue to rip off every tensile structure i have seen

Jan 29, 10 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
IamGray

Without understanding your project at all, I nevertheless think the Metz Pompidou might be a good starting point.

Look into the work of Arnold Walz / Design to Production (responsible for the timber structure system) as well as Cecil Balmond / Daniel Bosia and others with Arup's AGU.

You probably won't find a single system that will be easily 'portable' to your particular situation, however you'll hopefully be inspired to test a few scenarios and implement your own system. And afterall... Isn't that what a thesis should be about?

Jan 29, 10 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
AquillatheNun

you should totally just rip off Richard Rogers and his Barajas Airport
it looks very similar to your images

Jan 29, 10 9:43 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

it looks like a stiff roof structure catilevering off arrayed bunch of posts, no? perhaps these core of divergent posts could work in tandem, each bunch (composed of three neighbouring columns) would add up to a different angle, each bunch skewed differently, so you get an accumulative lateral stability. the geometry of the roof structure is not clear thoough..the structure could be anything from a skin'n'skeleton construction to 'assembled patchwork of pneumatic structures. really there isn.t too much info to get a good feel of your project.

Jan 30, 10 6:16 am  · 
 · 
3DH?
Jan 30, 10 8:41 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: