Archinect
anchor

Good books to read for drafting

tool
Hi I'm wondering if anyone knows a good book that teaches how to improve your drafting skills (rules for technical drawings, how to properly draw plans and sections etc). I love drawing by hand in general, and I think it will be great if I can make my drawings more architecturally articulated.

Thanks! :)

Mar 11, 14 3:57 am
WHEAT

Drafting is a dying art, unfortunately. You don't need a book to teach you drafting though, it's just a few line weights and craftsmanship. If your in school, USE THE LIBRARY. It's your best resource. 

Mar 11, 14 11:04 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

Does Columbia have a library? If it does I would suggest going to the area known as the stacks and look through the NA area. You will be amazed at what you might find in the way of Architectural Drafting books.

Mar 11, 14 11:29 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

It turns out that Columbia does have a library. It is called Avery and a quick search of Architectural Drafting returned 185 results.

Mar 11, 14 11:32 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

i thought libraries were only built so rich people could have their name attached to something expensive.

here's a project gutenberg text on drafting, apparently from around 1883 when people were still drafting by hand (geared more towards mechanical drafting, but has a good introduction);

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/23319/23319-h/23319-h.htm

or you could pick up a book like this on your kindle:

http://www.amazon.com/Construction-Drawings-Details-Interiors-Skills-ebook/dp/B005PY79F0/ref=kinw_dp_ke

i'm sure there are others.  i only posted examples from project gutenberg and amazon's kindle library to be an anti-brick-and-mortar smartass.  good luck.

Mar 11, 14 12:02 pm  · 
 · 

You can also learn a lot by looking long and hard - meaning looking analytically - at beautiful drafted drawings. There is a Frank Lloyd Wright drawing exhibit up at MOMA right now, right? (<Lowrysnark> They don't collect architecture, just architectural artifacts, of course. </Lowrysnark>) FLW was an amazing draftsman, so look hard at where he made lines heavy vs. light, how much he extended them past intersections, how cut lines in section and plan are delineated, how a section and plan align with one another on a sheet, etc.

Any book by Francis DK Ching or Kirby Lockard will also teach you a lot.

Mar 11, 14 12:14 pm  · 
 · 

This old thread has lost a lot of its image links, but you can get good names from it for whose drawings to look at.  The Mies drawing I reference there is this one, my favorite architectural drawing ever:

Mar 11, 14 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
Thanks for the suggestions guys and gals, I'll look into the library and the books. Yes Avery has some drafting books but they are non-circulating. I wish I could read and draw at the same time just like how you learn programs on YouTube and excercise it at the same time. @wheat unfortunately I have to agree with you, hand drawing is dying, but I feel there is a quality of authenticity that digital drawing can never replace, but then again technology as a tool is another mode of revealing what your drawing could be
Mar 11, 14 12:23 pm  · 
 · 

Mechanical Drawing by French and Svensen, the 1919 edition.

Mar 11, 14 12:25 pm  · 
 · 

Bob Borson has some good info too, not only in this linked blog post but across his whole website.

Mar 11, 14 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i didn't even think about you tube.  that's better than a book.  i must be getting old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcavjtBarfA&feature=share&list=PLFA43D2C7E7C024D2&index=4

Mar 11, 14 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
WHEAT

@ARIEL W

Google Peter Salter for beautiful technical drawings, ALL his drawings are nice but his technical drawings are unparalleled. Also, look at drawings on the KROB website, www.krobarch.com

If you're looking for sketching, look up Architects Draw by Sue Gussow. I teach first year drawing if your interested in student examples www.facebook.com/13fortyone

Mar 11, 14 1:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: