Archinect
anchor

MLA--what's the scoop on City College in NY?

kVanT

New poster here. I'd love to hear from anyone who's familiar with the school or its alums, architects and landscape architects alike.

The program is relatively new and relatively unadvertised so I'm having a hard time getting a handle on its strengths and weaknesses (other than being a design-focused urban program with a strong NYC network). I do realize that a school's "fit" is relative to my own interests, but I'm posting to find out about general reputation and will determine the fit myself when I visit campus.

For reference, I've been accepted at Cornell, Penn, UVa, and RISD. ('m not asking about City College for the purposes of financial comparison.) If you have strong feelings about any of those other schools, all comments are welcome.

Thanks!!

Mar 10, 14 9:53 am
doug_las
Go to Penn. Simply has connections to the best firms after your MLA.
Mar 10, 14 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
Hsin-Han Lee

do penn

Apr 26, 14 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
RhinoTRAP

I'm starting an MLA this year and Cornell and Penn were two of the schools I was considering offers from. Got more info on Cornell because I know a recent alum through a friend. It's an excellent teaching program which is at the forefront, yet produces actual work-ready LAs. Its only weakness is not being in the same college as the architecture program, so there's minimal -- if any -- integration or collaboration.

Apart from its being a powerful force in the profession for a long time, a good thing about Penn is that it is almost entirely full-time faculty. That's uncommon for "elite" design schools.

I would be wary of declaring any school a foolproof pipeline to anything.

Are you able to visit? In addition to money, visiting made the hugest impact on my decision, even after all the phone interviews with chairs, faculty, students, and alums.

Apr 26, 14 4:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: