Archinect
anchor

Learning Revit/BIM in School

jyount10
I know there are a number of students on here, and I was wondering to what extent schools are teaching Revit. I've been using Revit for around 9 years now, and it has made some significant advances.

Are the schools teaching:
-Revit in general?
-Schedule parameters?
-Clash Detection?
-Mass Modeling
-Mass Curtainwall (99% chance anyone who says that Revit limits your design capability is not familiar with the latest Mass Tools)

Many firms are still operating in a Sketchup first, Revit 2nd; or a combination of MAX/VIZ/Rhino for more complex portions of the building, while using Revit for the more simple modeling.

A principal at one of my old firms once said: "When schools start teaching Revit, that's when we switch."

Mar 9, 14 5:18 am
C. Watts
My undergrad school offered an optional revit class. I didn't take it though. From what I have heard, most schools do not teach it and it is the students responsibility to learn programs.
Mar 9, 14 10:31 am  · 
 · 
mszczere
Speaking as a second year undergrad, we've been doing a significant amount more in Rhino than in Revit, although we will be spending the next half of the semester learning the basics of modeling in Revit. I don't believe we will be learning any clash detection software.
Mar 9, 14 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
Thecyclist
I don't think most schools teach Revit. There maybe an extra class after hours that they might offer, but the idea of 'teaching' Revit seems a little futile to me. The best way to learn software is by yourself. When there's something you don't know, Google or YouTube is a heck of a resource... If only some of my colleagues figured this out.
Mar 9, 14 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
empea
I think schools are incredibly foolish to not teach BIM digital tools. It will be the new game changer in production and is already in the more forward thinking practice. It will be years for most entry level staff before any actual design or project management skills are mature enough to be of real use to the practice. The knowledge of software is one of the few things that sets young people apart in a firm.
Mar 10, 14 8:12 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: