Archinect
anchor

AIA warning

tpak

Hi all,

I was hoping to get a question answered here. Hopefully someone knows something.

My friend and I run a design group. We do not claim ourselves to be architects. Apparently my friend didn't want to do something unethical and that person in turn told the AIA to look into our website.

Then AIA sends him a letter saying that our website vaguely suggests that we are architects and told us to shutdown the website by the 20th and to send in documents explaining our practice.

The website is here if anyone wants to review it: www.intensiondesign.com

My question is...does the AIA even have the authority to do something like this? I feel like we are being bullied here.

Jun 11, 11 2:19 am

"Intension Design provides services throughout the construction process, we specialize in the following:

-Schematic and Design Development
-As-Builts + Construction Documents
-Permitting
-Project Management
-3D Rendering + Animations
-Budgeting/Scheduling"

Bwahahahah.

Sorry. You crossed lines. You should have said, "We work with trusted Architecture of Record offices to help you secure the following."

And you should never, ever mention anything more than schematics. Personally, I wouldn't have even advertised schematics. I would have said, "We offer consultation in realization and idealization services when it comes to architecture— we believe we can help prospective developers, contractors, clients and investors 'actualize' their goals in guiding them through the building process."

Jun 11, 11 3:40 am  · 
 · 

the aia isn't an enforcer, tpak. only your state board has any say in your use of the title architect or related. 

if you didn't actually use the word architect, only the description above, you could just as well be a contractor. the link's not working now, so i can't see your site.  

but, yeah, generally the aia has no say. 

Jun 11, 11 7:50 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Why, on earth, under God, would you, in any state of mind, go ask the AIA??!!  That's lunacy, imho, and you certainly got what you deserved (do you got ask a police officer if you are trespassing whenever you stroll through the woods, or the IRS if your book purchase is really research/business?  No, you don't, you make reasonable assumptions that make sense and move forward.  You learn the rules and navigate around them, just like the law).

It is well documented how I feel about this, but I gotta say, the absurdity continues to grow.  This is great use of money their funds, telling the young and ambitious (and educated as architects) that they cannot do what every contractor, builder and developer does.

So my advice...you f*d yourself, your partner is a moron (research, learn the written rules from a legal standpoint, sure, but you don't go contact them!  Jesus!).  Will he turn you in if you are speeding to a meeting?!  

You put yourself on the 'radar', so you have far more to worried about then if you didn't do anything (in which case you'd be fine).

If you have balls (clearly your partner does not), then I'd say f them, this is just so absurd how far this profession goes to kill itself, I am not sure whether to laugh (as I am not part of the traditional profession) or vomit (as I love architecture more than anything, just not the profession).  

If it were me, I'd have been a little more careful about the wording.  Say something like "we design buildings, we design space" (see that the word "architect/architecture" is not used, which, for some crazy idea, is about all that the professional organizations seem to care about - eating the young, killing the ambitious and squashing dreams).

So go forward with your chin up, do whatever you want, find a good lawyer (just in case you could have a rebuttal letter on hand for a few bucks).

Site is down, fyi, 

Jun 11, 11 9:13 am  · 
 · 

What Steven said.  The AIA has no authority, but you need to check your state licensing board to see what THEIR guidelines are for language that implies practicing the regulated, licensed practice of architecture.  As Steven said, you're offering what a contractor can offer legally, too (though perhaps only as a licensed contractor - said license is much easier to get than is an architecture license).

Also: I know this is unsolicited, and sorry to sound mean, but your name Intension Design is, IMO, not good.  It implies that the tense working relationship that often occurs between owner, designer, and contractor is not an unfortunate event but instead something you strive for.  Did you mean "intention" or did you like the idea of tension/compression? Is it too late to re-brand yourselves, thus ending the AIA's pissy threats and remaking your image all in one effort?

Good luck.  Continue offering the services you offer, just be careful about the legal language.

Jun 11, 11 9:37 am  · 
 · 
urbanity

All the AIA can do is revoke your AIA membership if you have one. I suppose they can also report you to your state board, so pay attention to the advice given above. If you violate state licensure laws you could have some problems trying to obtain licensure.

Oh, and what Donna said about your firm name...um, yeah not so good.

Jun 11, 11 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

on your site you do mention architectural services...thats a no if you are not licensed, because it does suggest that you are practicing architecture. Take 'architecture' out of the descriptions and you will be fine.

Im not a fan of AIA and will never join AIA. They do not have any authority and it is  bullshit from them to threaten you to shut down your website. If you are member and are PAYING they should help you organize your terminology but not be against you. The only thing they can do is report you to the board (and the board will only tell you to change what you have as your descriptions....but they will not give you problems down the road unless you keep doing it) or can deny your membership with the AIA (woohooo).

Jun 11, 11 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

This is what you said on one page somewhere....

"Our architectural services which can be found in many national publications and competitions including:"

great that you think you are awesome but you do not provide architectural services and should change it to something else...

good luck and let us know how it turns out but yeah I would not worry about the AIA at all. But do us all a favor....if you are not licensed don't imply you are because we all worked hard to use that terminology. After all that terminology is the only thing we have.

Jun 11, 11 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
tpak

Yeah I just put the website back up. Thanks for all of the feedback. I had a feeling the AIA didn't have the authority to do so.

But yeah I will change some of the wording around. I completely understand the importance of the wording and I really don't intend on suggesting to be architects when I am not licensed yet.

Jun 11, 11 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
tpak

Btw, @trace we didn't talk to the AIA. My friend didn't agree to do something unethical to some drawings for a contractor and we think he is the one who went through the trouble to report us.

Jun 11, 11 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

tpak: I'm confused. Are you sure the letter didn't come from your state board of architects? I'm pretty familiar with the way AIA operates and I'm not inclined to think any component of AIA would send the type of letter you describe. However, a state board would react in exactly that manner.

Jun 11, 11 4:25 pm  · 
 · 

yeah, i'm sort of mystified by it as well, quizz. doesn't make sense for it to be the aia. 

Jun 11, 11 5:23 pm  · 
 · 

i agree with quiz and steven... having been heavily involved in the AIA at one point in time, this isn't something that they would typically send... it certainly couldn't have come from AIA national... if it did in fact come on AIA letterhead i would have to guess that it came from some rogue local board member... but i still find this difficult to believe and agree with quiz that it had to have come from the state licensing board, which is what there job to do is...

Jun 11, 11 6:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: