Archinect
anchor

3 yr Old Silverline by Anderson Condensating Badly

WillWang77

Wondering what my options are and if anyone can give me some advice. I built a house 3 yr ago and the builder put in Silverline by Anderson windows. We are having nothing but issues with them heavily condensating during the winter. We are getting a good amount of black mold growing on the sills due to the moisture. I have had the builder and the window distributor out and both say the window is performing the way they are meant to and the issue is being caused by high humidity in our house. The humidity in our house ranges from 22% to 36% and we have nothing but static on pretty much everything and repeated nose bleeds due to the house being too dry. Is there anything I can do or am I forced to replace the windows at my own cost? Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mar 5, 14 2:00 pm
stone

Please tell us the state in which this house is located, and whether your house was designed by an architect (hired by you) or by the builder.

Mar 5, 14 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
Anob

WillWang7,

Silverline windows was a company that Andersen bought to get into the replacement insert market. I've sold these and installed them and it sounds like a installation problem. Did the contractor build his own pine frame to wrap the opening to insert the windows. Did he use pressure treated lumber or cedar? Did he cement the windows to the opening? How close are they to the ground? Im assuming they're basement windows. What paint did you use to finish the sill and frame? 

Looks like you have to tear everything down to get to the core of the problem. Many ways to fix the problem but you will have to investigate first and come to the most efficient conclusion on your own. 

Mar 5, 14 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Where is the water condensing - in the face of the window or between the glass panes? Where do you live?
Mar 6, 14 6:38 am  · 
 · 
gruen

...and...the OP is silent. 

...going to join with Miles here - 10 post reply minimum! PLZ!

The problem probably is that the OP does not have and fresh air in the home. I doubt the windows are the problem, unless the glass is single pane or the double pane glass has a horrid u-value. Single pane will be cold enough to condense indoor air, even if the interior is fairly dry. 

Mold on the windowsill could indicate an air leak through the window, or around the window. 

But it's tough to point at the window, or even the installation of the window unless we know more about the problem. 

Maybe the OP is getting the problem in the pool house, LOL. 

Mar 6, 14 2:06 pm  · 
 · 

Sounds like a teardown to me. Or a case for Italian lightning.

Mar 6, 14 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Just break the Glass and your problem will go away.

Mar 6, 14 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

See it all the time here in Colorado particularly in mountains..  low humidity, massive daily swing in temperatures (which changes where the dew point occurs), and people using humidifiers.  Warm wet air hitting a cold surface where the dew point occurs = condensation.

Read up on dew point and how to run the calculator.  Chances are the windows aren't that high performance as far as insulating properties and there isn't much airflow near the window to help dissipate/evaporate it before it can condensate bad enough to run. 

Also should note that you might look around the baseboard for signs of mold too.  That would be an indicator that the vapor barrier was also improperly installed and you have condensation within the wall system, hitting the base plate, and rotting the wood. 

Mar 6, 14 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Miles-itialian lightning? Waaaa? Is that???

PS: when are you up my way?
Mar 6, 14 7:04 pm  · 
 · 

Torch for insurance. Also comes in Jewish flavor.

Two weeks I think. Day trip unless you have an extra room.

The two lines above are NOT related.

Mar 6, 14 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Lol. I might be out of town in 2 weeks. No extra room.. Just got building permit today to year off half the roof and do the attic project, so I will have a guest room in 6-12 months. Get in touch anyway, might be here for part of 2 weeks from now.
Mar 6, 14 7:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: