Archinect
anchor

Seeking Success in Architecture School

archiaspirations

Hey Archinecters! A couple weeks ago I posted a query about using a compass and you guys were extremely helpful. I am here yet again, because despite endless hours of drafting, revising,re-everything I don't feel like my work is where it could be, or where it needs to be. I am enjoying the process, but I want to improve. I am not seeking to be the best in my class, but to be the best that I am capable of.

If you hadn't guessed I am in my first studio ever, in an undergraduate program. So my question is, what would you lovely Archinecters recommend I do outside of class to improve my drafting skills and to convey ideas visually? Any and all tips would be appreciated, and I am willing to put in any amount of effort that is required to improve.

I really appreciate your advice, and I want to thank you in advance.

Archiaspirations

Mar 3, 14 11:12 pm

To me, drafting is about line weights and cleanliness. Work from the top of the page to the bottom so you're not smearing lead with your straight edge. Clean your straight edge regularly while drafting to keep lead from building up...and smearing on the page. Draw everything SUPER light until you're ready to make your final "hard lines". You can check out dezeen, arch daily, or other design blogs for line weight standards to mimic. Of course, these will be digital but pay attention to thickness respective to wall, window, door, etc. 

Outside of class just read. Decide what designs you like and try to understand why they interest you. Try to describe it to yourself.  Find consistencies in the form, structure, and materials and try to understand whats working and whats not. The more you understand, the more you'll have an opinion about. Hope this helps. Cheers. 

check out the drawings for this project. great line weights.

http://www.alliedworks.com/projects/blue-lake-residence/#/overview/1

Mar 4, 14 12:11 am  · 
 · 

What can really elevate a drawing is composition..  whether or not you've gotten a handle on line weights, the way that you compose the drawing will give it value by exposing relationships and conveying some sort of meaning.

I would suggest looking at some drawings of unbuilt works.  There is a huge range to draw from, and these are works which have been pervasive and remain relevant solely because of the drawings.  A few people to look at might be Claude Nicholas Ledoux, Lebbeus Woods,  John Hejduk, Vladimir Tatlin and Archigram.  

I'd also second the importance of reading.  Rather than doing a google image search for something or someone here, check out books from the library and read about the projects.  Something recommended to me during an intensive drawing project was Constant Nieuwenhuys' New Babylon.  The drawings and readings compliment each other quite well.  

Another great classic to look into is Cedric Price's Fun Palace.  I'd start with that.

Mar 4, 14 1:31 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: