Archinect
anchor

Heard of an Unemployed Licensing Program?

Does anyone know of a program that would allow someone that is not employed to take lessons from a licensed mentor that would sign off on IDP requirements. If not, any thoughts on this?

I am in a masters program now, but was thinking about trying to start a similar type of program. Although, this seems like it would be difficult to deal with the board or NCARB to have such an arrangement approved. It can be challenging to find work so I'm considering this alternative to receiving a license. 

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions everyone! 

Mar 3, 14 12:11 am
Non Sequitur

Why are so many people here trying to shortcut their way through IDP? They virtually graduate everyone who walks through any arch school door, now they will just hand out licenses for free?

Regardless, most IDP allow a certain percentage of hours to be received through shadowing. You can claim some points through discussion with a mentor or licensed professional but from what I recall, you cannot claim large chucks of experience this way. Besides this, being employed in the field and collecting IDP experience remains key since if you hold a job, you are more accountable for your work (ie. the fear of being fired for poor work tends to make one work in a more responsible/professional manner).

The point is, there already exists a vehicle to gain some experience outside of your office job but it is no saving grace. I am afraid you'll need to go through the hurdles like everyone else.

Mar 3, 14 9:53 am  · 
 · 

There are plenty of opportunities to gain IDP hours outside of working in an architecture office under a licensed professional.  Look at the supplemental experience setting on NCARB's website.  For example, I'm noticing now they've added 930 elective hours for construction work, whether it's paid or volunteer, under supervision of someone experienced in the activity.

I think "program" might be too strong of a word for what you're suggesting.. maybe a club or an organization, doing things such as competitions (a possible 40 hours per category, less leadership/service), AIA continuing education, habitat for humanity, etc.  

In any case, employment is not a true barrier to starting IDP.  If you want to organize something, you can do it within the existing constraints of NCARB.  

I'd suggest that you run through everything in the experience settings and requirements, assemble a list of potential ways to earn IDP without being employed, and decide realistically which ones might be worthwhile to pursue, either alone or with a group.  If you need a licensed supervisor or mentor, say for competitions, approach a faculty member at your school to oversee that aspect.

Mar 3, 14 1:15 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks Joseph. I will check into the information. It seems the mentor's roll is to guide the intern through the checklist and to sign off on their work, and the ARE is in place to ensure the knowledge has been retained. I'm asking the question of whether the first part of this process can be completely external.

Non Sequitur, 

I didn't mean for this program to be free. Couldn't someone pay for a lesson plan monitored by a licensed architect? The ARE will determine if the standards have been upheld, right?

There are so many talented and competent designers that are unable to find work. Having an alternative path toward receiving a license would benefit many.  

Thank you for your comments. 

Mar 3, 14 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
lmnop15

There's no reason to pay for experience either through an unpaid internship or the type of program you're suggesting. As it's been mentioned NCARB has free supplamentary learning experiences online and if you're unemployed why not get involved with AIA or a local organization that will let you make connections and earn IDP hours through your volunteer time? Other than paying NCARB to maintain your record and to take the AREs there's no portion of IDP you should pay for. If you find an IDP supervisor they should sign off on your record FOR FREE.

Mar 3, 14 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

the test and exposure to the profession during IDP are two different things.  IDP isn't necessarily going to cover what's on the test, just as the test isn't a replacement for exposure to the profession.

you know, you can be a great designer without a license. 

Mar 3, 14 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Emerging Professionals Companion. http://www.epcompanion.org/

Mar 3, 14 7:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: