Archinect
anchor

BFA vs BArch

mszczere

I am currently a second year student in a BFA Architecture program and after looking at portfolios of students graduating from BArch programs, I became quite discouraged and started wondering if I am taking the wrong route. When I will be applying to MArch programs, will I have any advantage over students who graduated with BArch? It seems as though these programs produce more well-rounded students than my program which focuses on theory, conceptual thought, and process. Is there any advice that I could get on how I could be a competitive applicant graduating from a BFA Architecture program? I had the opportunity to attend a BArch program, but decided against enrolling into it purely for the additional cost. Did I make a mistake?

Feb 28, 14 12:24 pm
jdparnell1218

I don't think you made a mistake.  I have a BFA in Architecture and I haven't had any problems.  You can still get licensed without a B. Arch or M. Arch; you just have to go to the right state.  My home state of TN is one of those states that does not require you graduate from an accredited program.  You have to ask yourself though, is transferring, possibly losing credits and certainly paying more debt off later worth it?  Real life experience is also more valuable than more education.  If you can get a job before or after graduating, I would focus on employment and working on your IDP.

Good Luck

Feb 28, 14 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
hanshen

When you apply to MArch programs, you will apply to M. Arch I probably with advance placement, while B. Arch students usually apply to M. Arch II. So you are not really competing.

Mar 1, 14 3:34 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: