Archinect
anchor

architecture as weapon

liberty bell

(Via the amazing surface) Berlusconi was attacked - with a replica of the Duomo! Was this a case of a piece of architecture being used to symbolize the wrongs of a man, or was it just the closest throwable object?

Dec 14, 09 3:15 pm
treekiller

Any icon of italian culture could have been used to bludgeon Berlusconi. I just wonder why it took this long to provoke this sort of action? It seems that he aspires to be a capitalist version of Mussolini.

Dec 14, 09 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Oh no, oh no, tk, you're taking us down the path of discussing politics which is exactly what I'm trying to avoid!

Has anyone ever thrown their model at a critic? Or vice versa?

Dec 14, 09 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i'm sure the assailant was inspired by the swiss army minerats.

clearly "achitecture as weapon" is the new cutting edge. nice job in spotting the trend liberty bell. kudos to you!

Dec 14, 09 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
file
"Has anyone ever thrown their model at a critic? Or vice versa?"

LB -- would vice versa be "has anybody thrown their critic at a model"?

I would pay to see that sort of thing!

Dec 14, 09 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

"Any icon of italian culture could have been used to bludgeon Berlusconi"

You're not far off, tk. Besides the alabaster reproduction of the Duomo, the attacker also brought with him, in a briefcase: a canister of pepper spray, a 20 cm. piece of plexiglass, a 30 cm. long plaster crucifix, a quarz paperweight/knick-knack, and a large gas lighter. The crucifix also fits as an icon of Italian culture, but for the life of me I can't figure out what he was thinking when choosing the other items, and what the sequence of events, had he been able to use all of the objects, boggles and perplexes the mind. (he is reported to be a mentally disturbed individual).

Dec 14, 09 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
dia

To my mind, that list of implements seems to indicate that the offender wanted to prepare for a number of scenarios dependent on the proximity of Berlusconi: "If I get close enough, I'll alight his suit or wack him with the crucifix, failing that, the good old 'throw-the-Duomo' will work a treat."

Dec 14, 09 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

Sounds likely, diabase.

As far as architecture-as-weapon, the Florence dome would have had a much sharper point; St. Mark's in Venice would offer more points (lots of onion domes); best of all might have been a well aimed obelisk from St. Peter's square aimed at Berlusconi's head, which would have easily penetrated the empty space there (so now I reveal my true feelings here).

Dec 14, 09 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

and let me state clearly that I in no way condone that person's actions.

Dec 14, 09 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

Is it ok if we expand outside the limits of italian architecture?

I think the egyptian pyramids would be a healthy choice, pretty much anyway they fly, they've got a point ready to strike.

Just don't throw one of the more recent Frank Ghery projects, those flights patterns are way too upredicatble (interestly, this is despite them having been designed on software original produced for the aerospace industry)

Dec 14, 09 5:08 pm  · 
 · 

clearly the Milan Duomo is the pointiest/deadliest of possible architectural trinkets.

Dec 14, 09 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
Cacaphonous Approval Bot

alabaster reproduction of the Duomo
canister of pepper spray
20 cm. piece of plexiglass
30 cm. long plaster crucifix
quarz paperweight/knick-knack
large gas lighter

in a briefcase

This is either the Cooper Union home test or an old Diller Scofidio project.

Dec 15, 09 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

ha!...a rejected cooper union student. that is awesome.

Dec 15, 09 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

i thought you guys were talking about these

Dec 15, 09 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

the nazis may have been evil, but they sure cared a lot more about design than we do.

Dec 15, 09 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell
...Frank Ghery projects, those flights patterns are way too upredicatble (interestly, this is despite them having been designed on software original produced for the aerospace industry)

This is hilarious, Synergy!

I've never thrown a model or had one thrown at me, but I had a roommate once who tore her gorgeous and much-labored-over watercolor rendering in half because her boyfriend said it wasn't as good as his - she did it in front of him. Predictably, it didn't affect him much.

Dec 15, 09 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
LOOP!

Subtopia has this topic pretty well covered: http://subtopia.blogspot.com/

Dec 15, 09 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

Ha yeah, that sounds like the artistic equivalent of pouting to yourself and thinking along the lines "I'll show them, they'll miss me when I'm gone…"

I have a friend who inadvertently destroyed a large number of his class’s models. The building his classroom was in was a a repurposed industrial facility that had a large overhead crane. He and a friend were slightly drunk and messing around in the room after the semester had just concluded. One thing led to another and they managed to find the controls for the crane. Apparently they weren’t exactly experienced crane operators, because they couldn’t shut it off after it started lifting. The crane managed to hook a large cable tray that contained all the internet cables that were wired and ATTACHED to each student’s desk. A moment later and a dozen, very large, very heavy, metal desk frames were dangling in the air while many large ¼” scale models, drawing implements, etc. were laying on the ground, completely destroyed.

Dec 15, 09 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

Berlusconi's face itself was attacked last night by a duomoless coward. And Berlusconi's face will be defended.

Dec 15, 09 2:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: