Archinect
anchor

How can I Practice Architecture (as a Filipino Architect) to South Korea? do i need a counterpart also? l

Arvin Patawaran

I really want to know if I can practice my architectural profession in Korea

Feb 25, 14 8:41 pm
thompson's gazelle

Why do you want to practice here? Korea probably has one of the worst domestic architecture markets, and they aren't especially excelling in the international picture either. Regarding your question, I have very little information to actually answer it.  I've seen a few people from China and Mongolia at my office, but that was when we had projects in those countries... I would say it's not impossible, but if you don't speak Korean, it's going to be a problem.

Feb 26, 14 3:57 am  · 
 · 
batman

you must infatuated with korean plastic women

Feb 26, 14 1:56 pm  · 
 · 

Agree with thompson's gazelle, besides, you'll experience the ultimate work overload. We spend MINIMUM 72 hours a week here at the office(Mon to Sat), not to mention that you might occasionally have to sacrifice your Sunday as well. If you were looking for 'exploring the city' or 'experiencing the culture' kind of thing, wrong choice, I would say.  :P

Feb 27, 14 1:14 am  · 
 · 
Arvin Patawaran

Nope sir, I'm not after the exploration thingy in Korea, I'm just after the accurate information about me having my professional practice in South Korea, but thanks for your feedback sir it kinda helps me through my curiosity. :D

Mar 3, 14 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
itsjuanochi

In dollars, how much is the usual pay for junior architects in korea?

Mar 4, 17 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
starrchitect

They would more than likely get paid in Korean Won. 

As someone that's been to S.K. for a stretch of time, I will unashamedly say that it sucks. Try Japan if instead. 

Mar 5, 17 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

Expound please, for posterity.

Mar 6, 17 5:26 am  · 
 · 
archietechie

No

Mar 6, 17 6:50 am  · 
 · 
starrchitect

The only place SK has going for it is Seoul. As a city, it is metropolitanly banal and I found people to be rude esp. towards foreigners. Anytime on the subway, people will approach me to take pictures with them or feel they have the right to practice their English with me. The city itself is just ok, but not a place I would recommend non-Koreans for vacationing or living. You will get bored quickly and the only other place is Busan (which is just a small scale version of Seoul). There is really nowhere else to go besides agricultural areas. On the plus side, their native food is awesome and Korean women can be quite beautiful. If you can make the trek there, you may as well go somewhere more awesome that is just as expensive and even much cheaper (Bangkok, Tokyo, Kuala Lumpur, etc.).

Mar 7, 17 9:59 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Sure you can once you speak Korean, are properly licensed in South Korea and have a legal working permit. Good luck!

Mar 6, 17 5:16 am  · 
 · 
archietechie

Not to be a racist or anything, but skin color does matter in hyper urbanized asian cities. Whites or fellow Yellows.

Mar 6, 17 5:29 am  · 
 · 
randomised

"Not to be racist or anything" is usually a precursor to a racist statement, Q.E.D.

Mar 6, 17 7:57 am  · 
 · 
archietechie

Short of an anti-PC response, methinks context is important here. OP isn't dealing with me, neither am I korean. I only laid my cards for OP to maintain certain expectations when applying for a job there. And there's certain truth to it to what I said.

Mar 6, 17 8:10 am  · 
 · 
Chuck71

Koreans are as racist as any other group. Why wouldn't they be?

Mar 6, 17 10:19 am  · 
 · 
starrchitect

Koreans can be just as racist as any other group, but there are no diversity quotas to satisfy, nor would they make an effort to mask it like the Japanese. This is experience talking.

Mar 7, 17 10:04 am  · 
 · 
Chuck71

Hi,

If you are an accredited Architect in the Phillipines then you may your qualifictaions reciprocated in South Korea, as both countries are in APEC.

Search for "APEC Architect framework".

From an Australian viewpoint also: http://www.aaca.org.au/apec-architect-international-issues/apec-architect/introduction/

As always, there will be conditions applicable.

Mar 6, 17 5:40 am  · 
 · 
Chuck71

As a side comment, I wouldn't recommend working there.

The Korean contractor we work with, the majority of the staff are anything but easy to work with. Confrontation in style is just the start of it.

Read this. Page 4 onwards seems accurate.

http://www.leadershipcrossroads.com/mat/cou/southkorea.pdf

Mar 6, 17 10:17 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: