Archinect
anchor

question: how do I scale drawing imported into Illustrator from CAD?

archconnect

Say i want to scale the drawing I imported into Illustrator from CAD at 1/8" . How can i do this efficiently?

thanks a bunch

Oct 25, 04 10:37 pm
pencrush

The only real way to do it, I think, and this is one of the shittiest things about illustrator, is to take a known measurement, say a 6" wall, and scale the drawing so that measurement is 1/2". You'll have to select the whole drawing and use the scale tool. Get the length of the segment, and come up with the percentage you need to get that length to equal to 1/2" and scale the whole drawing by that percentage. It's annoying.

If anyone else has a better way, I'd love to know it.

Oct 26, 04 10:22 am  · 
 · 
.ml

with scale tool:)

Oct 26, 04 10:35 am  · 
 · 
sahar

I would always draw a box that represented my sheet size at the proper scale in AutoCAD (sheet size x inverse of scale you want (1/8"=1' is 8)). Then when I import it to Illustrator size the box to the proper sheet size. This is my lazy way that avoids math are measuring in Illustrator OR you could scale your drawing in AutoCAD and when you import into Illustrator, uncheck the option that is "fit to sheet" or something like that.

Oct 26, 04 11:50 am  · 
 · 
archconnect

thanks for the responses!

Oct 26, 04 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
M1/DTW

the cadtools plug-in adds scale, trim, extend, dimensioning, etc. functionality to illustrator. you can edit drawings exported at a known scale or create drawings from scratch.

we use it way more than we should...

it's made by hotdoor.com

Oct 26, 04 1:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: