Archinect
anchor

job offers for a high schooler

swisscardlite

i recently got a job offer from two firms. I'm still in high school so is this a good opportunity for me to take? One of them is huge, swabuck partners, a 40 person firm located in Arizona. I have a friend from church who works in Hu Bing International in Arizona too and he said I could work for them. So any thoughts and suggestion?

Oct 25, 04 8:12 pm
b3tadine[sutures]

you want GOOD experience and not just be an office boy/gopher? do what a lot of wished we had done while we were in school - during summer break - work for a construction company; clean the site, lug around masonry units for the masons, load concrete, do anything that gets you a working understanding of construction. working in an office will teach you nothing, especially at the high school level, well, it might teach you that architects are angry, resentful people and scare you from the profession. anything you will learn there you most certainly will want to unlearn at school. can you imagine being a first year student spouting off code or autocad crap, the professors will shun you and the students will call you a brown noser. you have plenty of time after you graduate to learn what its like to be in a real office, why not learn something that will actually benefit you while you are in school?

Oct 25, 04 9:44 pm  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

Are you planning to work while in school, or after you graduate? If you have the time to work while in school and are planning to study architecture when you finish, it could be a great opportunity to get an introduction to the field. If you are planning to wait until you graduate and take time off to work, it would make sense to talk to as many people as you can and see if these opportunities match what you will be looking for in terms of job assignments and pay, if you will need to be supporting yourself it may be tough. It could also discourage you from wanting to study architecture in college, a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it. My sister briefly had the crazy notion she wanted to study architecture (crazy because I don't think she'd be happy doing it) - she worked for a smallish firm for a few months and changed her mind - she hated it. She did graphic design for a while and is now taking classes as a prerequisite for nursing, and I think she'll be much more satisfied with that field. So it sort of depends on your feelings - whether you are interested in higher education or just want to work, whether you are passionate or just curious about architecture...

Oct 25, 04 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
RqTecT

KID TWO WORDS FOR YOU.
PRE LAW

Oct 25, 04 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

hui, i would pay attention to above posts. specially to first one. you don't want to be burned out or already know it all, by the time you start architecture school. i've checked the web site of first firm you mentioned and it looks very corporate and stagnated. not a very good place to be at your level and age. it is not that important for you to work at an architects office yet.
what happened in taliesin?

Oct 25, 04 10:38 pm  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

i was invited to a fundraiser banquet at frank lloyd wright taliesin west to give a little talk on my architecture model. i guess i was lucky

Oct 26, 04 12:04 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: