Archinect
anchor

Workstation - Laptops

darth_arch

On the lookout for a powerful laptop. Something that can handle huge PSD files, plenty of renders and very reliable. Essentially a replacement for my home desktop. Might be leaving for my masters and the time has come to finally invest in a proper laptop. 

Please weigh in with opinions and suggestions about what I can get. Not an apple fanboy and have used windows all my life. So no macbooks please. I had the Dell precision series in mind. Even then was confused as to what graphic card I should opt for (Quadro or Something else). 

Budget would be around 2000$. Feel free to suggest insansely over the top specs, even if its unaffordable., always would be fun to look it up.  :)

Feb 23, 14 10:18 am
mightyaa

I use a Malibal.  http://www.malibal.com/

They use the Clevo rebranded rigs (there are other retailers).  Looks clean, will stomp an Alienware, and isn't so 'bling' to be distracting with lights and goofy stuff.  Fully customizable components and possible to upgrade. My old one I did upgrade the gpu... not as easy though as a desktop.

Essentially get a gaming rig with a standalone GPU card.  Screen size doesn't matter to me since I use external montiors/keyboard/mouse.  I didn't need to go overboard like raid or SLI (dual gpu's).  Fast it is...  But you will pay basically twice as much as you would for a comparable desktop.

I also had fairly good luck with an Asus notebook from newegg.  Asus though it typically a generation behind. 

Feb 25, 14 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
Stasis

i'm happy with my Lenove W520.. it handles everything you mentioned well.   if you look for discounts and special 10% when you sign up for Lenovo newsletter, you can get it well under $2000.  I suggest buying SSD and rams separately because they are lot cheaper elsewhere.  I like Quardo performance on AutoCAD, and 3Ds Max (Quadro supports hardware renderings).  Revit's slow but Revit files i use in my office are even slow on desktop, so i wouldn't hold it against the laptop..  It also provides hardware acceleration for video editing programs like Adobe Premiere.  I bought it around 2011ish but still handles everything fine. 

The only drawback i can think of W series is that it comes with a huge 170W power brick (it actually is as large as a brick). 

Feb 25, 14 2:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: