Archinect
anchor

Type IV Construction: Heavy Timber

BulgarBlogger

So I know that in order for a piece of lumber to be classified as a timber, it must be at least 6" nominal in size, but I also read that in order for a timber to be suitable as a structural member in Type IV construction, it must be at least 8" nominal in all dimensions for floor loads and 6" nominal by 8" nominal for roof and ceiling loads. Is this correct? Just making sure I have the correct info while studying for an ARE division... :-/

Thanks!

Feb 20, 14 12:52 am
BulgarBlogger

Anyone?

Feb 20, 14 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Just open the code book, should take you 5 min
Feb 20, 14 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
Saint in the City

maybe even less than 5 minutes with a hint:         IBC....   chapter 6

Feb 20, 14 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Bulgar, this is actually a good exercise-the type of research a registered architect should know how to do.
Feb 20, 14 8:02 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

I did look at the code and it did say what I posted above... hence how "I knew" the information I posted. However- I am also looking at the Kaplan book and I want to know which answer it the "correct" answer as far as the exam is concerned... 

Feb 21, 14 8:42 am  · 
 · 
gruen
What answer does IBC give vs Kaplan? I don't think you'll need to know this level of detail for the exam.
Feb 21, 14 10:53 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: