Archinect
anchor

Working in an office that does not have a licensed architect?

ArchEngDes

Hi everyone

I got an interview at an international office in the States (satellite), but I just found out no one in the office is licensed. Their website does not have a profile of all the people who work in the US office (this is a satellite office), so I emailed asking if any one is licensed, and there is none. One of the principals is taking the exams right now.

As an employee, what am I sacrificing or at risk working in an office where no one is licensed? I.e., what happens to my IDP hours, are they capped? Is this worth it? Their work is growing, but at the same time, I do not want to move around AGAIN looking for another office to work for because my IDP is all used up at this particular office; I really want to commit to an office and learn, instead of jumping around.

Thanks!

Feb 19, 14 6:36 pm
snooker-doodle-dandy

It sounds like a scam to me.  Who seals and signs drawings?  Only place I know where  being close counts is Horse Shoes.  If the partner is not registered then  he isn't and Architect in the State where he is practicing.  If you only doing projects which do not require registration  then it is not a problem if  he is not calling himself and Architect. However if he is claiming to be and Architect then that is a whole other story.  If your working on large scale projects or projects where you have assembly occupancies then  that is a violation of professional registration codes.   If you working there and he is not licensed I don't believe NCARB is going to give you any credit for the time you  have been working there. 

Feb 19, 14 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Oh I forgot to ask you...does he want you to work for free?

Feb 19, 14 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

Only place I know where  being close counts is Horse Shoes.

hand grenades

Feb 19, 14 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Do they have another US office w licensed archs? Regardless, it's dubious for your IDP
Feb 19, 14 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
ArchEngDes

Their only other office is in Asia. Everyone who works in the US office are  licensed in their OWN countries, i.e. there are Europeans that work there are licensed in some countries in Europe, some are licensed in China, some in Japan, but none of them are licensed in the U.S. (yet).  I am pretty sure they use an architect of record. They're not shady, they don't use the title as "architect" in their practice name, no one in their studio refers to them self as an architect either. 

Feb 19, 14 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

you can get a max of 1860 hours of idp working for this company - you need a min. of 1860 working under a licensed in the US architect to complete idp

If you want to be licensed you have to move on or wait until the principal gets licensed. even then you may never get the exposure you need for idp if this is primarily a design firm. 

I don't think it is anything shady here, there are plenty of design firms that don't have U.S. architects in them.

Feb 20, 14 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
ArchEngDes

"you can get a max of 1860 hours of idp working for this company - you need a min. of 1860 working under a licensed in the US architect to complete idp"

Do you mean 5600 hours for the "licensed in the US architect to complete idp?" 

Feb 20, 14 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
ArchEngDes

Also, 

How should I email them about this?I don't want to burn any bridges, but at the same time I want to let them know that I do have some priorities. 

Feb 20, 14 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

look up the IDP work setting requirements - it should take you about 1 minute.

i'm not sure that you need to email them about this at all unless you are signing some sort of contract or promising to work there long term.

Feb 20, 14 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

based on very little knowledge, this sounds like a firm that does much more design than actual architecture, meaning it will be hard for you to get exposure to all the categories required by idp.

if you don't want to move around a lot i'd suggest finding a small firm, you'll get to do a little of everything that way.

Feb 20, 14 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Dude,

What are they designing?   Pillow Cushions for Ikea?

Feb 20, 14 5:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: