Archinect
anchor

How far would you go for a job?

yEAh

You know that one job that you really, REALLY want, and also a great opportunity for a big career growth but after an interview or several interviews, there's no more communication.

Do you chase after it? Do you stalk the interviewer? (NOT REALLY) Do you ask for another chance to prove yourself?

I'm wondering how far would one go for that Job they actually want and have been waiting for. 

Feb 11, 14 5:23 am
FlameAura

I haven't done any of these things because I thought that would be impolite thing to do.

But oh well, I don't have a job either

Feb 11, 14 5:42 am  · 
 · 
Nice

I would continue to search for other jobs but still keep in touch with whoever you were speaking to there. Send them an email every few months to keep them on your radar, it could be anything from an update on what you are doing to a new technology or material that you came across. Try to relate it to something that you spoke to them about during the interview. They will see that you are truly interested and that can go a long way with an employer.

Feb 11, 14 7:05 am  · 
 · 

Respect karma. Nothing is what you imagine it to be.

Feb 11, 14 9:20 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I would only go as far as the next arch office down the street. It's a small community and principals talk, you never know if your aggressive, if not desperate, advances for employment will be passed on to others as warnings.

Feb 11, 14 10:06 am  · 
 · 
gwharton

You can be aggressive. You just have to not be an asshole. "Pleasantly persistent" can be a good thing if you do it right.

I graduated from arch school twenty years ago when the last big recession was raging full tilt. Nobody was hiring. I'd managed to get the direct dial extension number of a principal at a big firm I wanted to work for from a professor of mine (by being a kick-ass student and calling in a few favors). I sent a resume and portfolio and started calling. And kept calling. About once every couple of days on a regular schedule. For four months. I was always nice about it: friendly, cheerful, never boring or repetitive, and even a bit apologetic, but I called him a LOT, to the point where he was putting it in his schedule.

Ultimately, they hired me into a full-time job they'd cobbled together out of a bunch of part-time tasks even though they were not hiring anybody at that point. Your mileage may vary, and there is a fine line between showing strong interest and being a total pest, but the effort can pay off. 

Feb 11, 14 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
MarvinOne

Be careful following the advice of gwharton. I recently read a story from an architect who had a job seeker calling their office every single day. He asked the job seeker to send him a resume that he would review and keep on file, but that they did not have any positions open (small to mid-size firm who really wasn't in a position to hire). The job-seeker did that and then continued to call every day. At first the architect admired the persistence, then it got annoying. Finally the architect said point blank that they would never hire him because he did not take the hint that he was interrupting their work day and annoying the crap out of the entire office.

This is still a slow economy for architecture, it's great to follow up but just know that if a firm isn't hiring, it's probably because they don't have enough work and really aren't hiring. It sounds like you're socially aware enough to realize the line between aggressive and annoying, so I'm sure you'll be fine.

Take my advice for what it is - I still can't find a new job after looking for about a year! Ultimately only you will be able to decide what is right.

Mar 8, 14 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
empea
I would take it easy w the calls too. I interviewed a series of people for a position in my group last year. Everyone that sent a follow up email after the interview gets in the good book for good manners and appropriate interest. Everyone that makes a follow up phone call still gets a gold star albeit somewhat less since I think the telephone is inherently problematic as one of the many constant interruptions in a profession such as ours. Anyone that calls more than once, and there were a few, will soon be off the short list. It is not your persistence that will prompt my final decision and unless you have something major to communicate such as a different salary demand or another job offer, more than one follow up call is only annoying to me. It projects an image of how you would be to work with that isn't to your advantage IMHO.
Mar 10, 14 8:07 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

I flew to Malaysia once for an interview... that was pretty far!

Mar 10, 14 12:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: