Archinect
anchor

Vernacular Architecture/Restoration in China

geejay

Hi, I am very interested in learning about the vernacular architecture and traditional building techniques and materials in China, but can't seem to find more detailed information. Specifically, I am trying to gain first-hand experience by working for a local firm, probably in restoration I assume. It would be of great help if anyone had any idea about which firms (engineering or architectural) to take a look at or any advice on how to go about studying this (local masons?).

Thank you!

Feb 10, 14 11:10 am
gwharton

I'm pretty sure you won't find any local firms who specialize in traditional building or restoration in China. There isn't much demand for it. Except for major landmark monuments, all the old stuff is being torn down at a furious rate. There's probably only 10% left from what it was just 30 years ago, if that much. Preservation and restoration is not a priority there at all, and the government is specifically targeting older neighborhoods for redevelopment. Only the stuff that has major cultural or tourism significance is being kept, and most of that is being "modernized."

Out of the restoration projects that are being done, the vast majority are cultural landmarks (like the Palace Museum and Summer Palace), and thus government projects. There are few smaller projects in the hutongs as well. In Beijing, you can find some of these around the Houhai Lake District. But the craftsmanship skills involved in producing traditional Chinese buildings are being lost fast.

Feb 10, 14 12:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: