Archinect
anchor

Moroccan Interior Design: the New Wave of Style and Fashion?

oooo

I think the wave of minimalism and sparse design is getting quite exhausted and we need some oppulant, over the top, color, intensity, drama and dreaminess, such as that found in traditional Arabic interiors!

What do you think?

Check out the work of Abdelatiff Samgui's atelier, Adam Decoracion:
www.adamdecoracion.com located in Granada, Espana.

Oct 26, 09 7:48 pm
Endooo

Not... a big fan... at all.

Minimalism has always appealed to me for some reason.

Oct 28, 09 9:35 pm  · 
 · 
oooo

honestly, i feel like i have been brainwashed into "buying" minimalism... it appeals to me too now, very much... but these other things appeal to me in a very direct way, they always have, i needed not be "taught" to like them, i just did... minimalism, on the other hand, is, for me, an acquired taste... does anyone relate to this? i feel like, for years, i could not even talk about these things... and now, i am finally "coming out"! pretty crazy, no?

Oct 29, 09 3:37 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

goodness me, you have been brainwashed in minimalism if you think that site is "opulent, overt the top, color, intensity, drama and dreaminess"

Oct 29, 09 11:02 am  · 
 · 
LB_Architects

~~~~
:)

Oct 29, 09 11:41 am  · 
 · 
TaliesinAGG

ughh...."styles".

Oct 29, 09 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

ugh... "thousands of years of human history and tradition".

Oct 29, 09 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
oooo

what am i to make of these mutterings?

Oct 30, 09 8:29 am  · 
 · 
oooo

myLiebermeisterAG:

ok, point well taken about "style"...

BUT

i think it's naive to think we ever escape "style" ... we are affected by our culture and our times, a desire for lack of affiliation with any particular style is as telling of a particular attitude as a desire to subscribe to ANY "-ism"...

in my humble opinion, a disdain for affiliating with any particular style is simply, well, how should i say: too simple? we, as designers, ALWAYS dance with some style, in reaction to some style, in dialogue with some style...

Oct 30, 09 8:43 am  · 
 · 
LOOP!

I think the wave of minimalism and sparse design is getting quite exhausted and we need some oppulant, over the top, color, intensity, drama and dreaminess, such as that found in...

the Las Vegas Excelsior!
Trailer Parks in the Ozarks!
McMansions!
Rococo Style Plaster Moldings!

Nov 12, 09 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

i think the current "minimalist" interior has not much to do with the orgin of minimalism.

Nov 12, 09 8:39 pm  · 
 · 
msudon

Moroccan salons are delightfully overwhelming but totally exhausting to live in. tiled walls a la zellijs are pretty legit thought, especially for warm climates where the coolness of the material is a nice change from the hot air

Nov 13, 09 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

pillows lots of pillows

Nov 14, 09 3:17 am  · 
 · 
Janosh

Minimalism is a style too.

Nov 14, 09 11:21 am  · 
 · 
oooo

the hand-crafted artisanal crafts are still very much alive in Morocco and they are largely responsible for the "magic" that Moroccan interiors exhude. there is a subtle connection between the imperfection of the human body and these hand-made objects that aim for perfection but when closely studied offer small deviations from the apparent geometrical perfection that is often explored in these objects, something that is lost in machine made objects...

Nov 14, 09 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
Larchinect

The contemporary take on mimimalism that you see in nearly every project nowadays is a testament to our global culture and values. I think architectural design has become much more of an applied science in recent decades than art. The objective, linear logic of science, mathematics, and computer technology are what is driving contemporary design.

I think what we tend to prefer about minimalist spaces is their adherence to basic logic rather than human spirit or instinct.

I think it's unfortunate that more often style is rewarded and propagated within the design community than actual design.

I like the pillows, but I also like the logic.

Nov 15, 09 12:28 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: