Archinect
anchor

Help for Dissertation: "Enforcing Identities"

Pan90

Hello to all,

I am currently writing my dissertation for Edinburgh University and it will be on Enforcing Identities, how we can make the local and the existing more attractive, instead of following foreign models of gentrification and 'beautification'.

Some cities, although not as beautiful as Paris or Rome have a distinct architectural heritage that might not be considered as 'attractive' by all (brutalist architecture, modernist, vernacular, squats, guerilla architecture, informal, tower blocks etc). However, it has been shown that as years pass, architecture and art, no matter how beautiful they were considered back then, achieve a unique quality today. For example, the city of London now regrets the destruction and demolition of its past industrial buildings and skyline even though they were loathed back then.

How can we view 'ugly' architecture of today with the nostalgic eyes of tomorrow? How can we prove that it will be more beneficial to invest to their renovation, improving of facilities etc instead of demolishing and erecting a Zaha-Gehry-Foster building that could as well be erected anywhere?

I hope this is clear enough for you to understand what I am trying to achieve. I am currently looking for relevant bibliography and/or journals, any help will be greatly appreciated.

I also hope that that this will open an interesting discussion regarding this subject. I believe that the role of the architect is currently ongoing a major change towards this direction. 

Feb 9, 14 1:07 pm
boy in a well

nah, you should go for Subjugating Hilarity

or Gentle Totalitarian

so that the kick in the balls is a tad more sugar coated.

Feb 10, 14 3:01 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: