Archinect
anchor

form-finding software for rigid shells

Zoster

Hi there!

You those hanging models? The ones that Gaudi is famous for, but are (or at least were) quite widely used to determine equilibrium shapes of rigid freeform shells, by turning them upside-down, and therefore the tensile forces become compression forces?
Which software (if any) that can simulate such a thing is the most "architect-frinedly"?

Help would be very much appreciated!
Thanks!

(in case i wasn't clear about what i am looking for, here is a reformulation: i need a software that lets me put uniform as well as punctual or linear loads on a flat surface, that would deform according to the stress induced by those loads.

Oct 21, 09 4:40 am
ATSX

hey, try using cadenary. its a free-ware specially built for simulating catenary structures. But it won't do the things you mentioned such as applying loads to a flat surface..but maybe you could take the simulated(you can attach multiple catenaries all according to actual physics) then export that geometry(you can mesh it) and import in rhino then apply surface from there over the simulated?

But i'm not sure if there are any softwares out there that can actually do what you want.

Oct 21, 09 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
pvbeeber

To do it right, you need structural analysis software capable of FEA (finite element analysis), at least if you want to work with any 2- or 3-dimensional shapes.

Oct 21, 09 9:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: