Archinect
anchor

Rich and Poor Architects

GigiSingh

Guys, anyone knows where I can find information about architects that have died rich, architects that have died poor, architects that are currently rich? If anyone knows about any on the top of your head, can you mention them? Thanks! Sorry.

Feb 7, 14 12:12 am
Non Sequitur

What's with this obsession about money?

Feb 7, 14 7:57 am  · 
 · 

Louis Kahn died bankrupt.  In fact, it took a couple of days for anyone to recognize his body because no one knew who he was.  He collapsed in Penn. Station in NYC from a heart attack.  However, today is highly regarded as one of the most influential modern architect.

Feb 7, 14 9:24 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

peter cook is a rich and famous architect, right?

this one:

http://nymag.com/thecut/2012/06/christie-brinkley-and-peter-cook-settle-custody.html

not the cool one, though he may be wealthy too since he's a knight and all.

Feb 7, 14 9:49 am  · 
 · 

I think John Portman is rich, too? I think the popular opinion is that real estate development is the only way to become a rich architect.

I remember there was an article in The Oregonian in about 1990 that said Bob Frasca drove a Ferrari.

Feb 7, 14 10:33 am  · 
 · 

norman foster clears about 4M pounds a year. same with zaha. i imagine renzo, chipperfield, and herzog/demeuron are all clearing 1M  or more a year. 

Feb 7, 14 10:49 am  · 
 · 
Aristotle

Frank Gehry was bankrupt at one point, and now he's doing alright for himself.

Feb 7, 14 11:09 am  · 
 · 
Aristotle

Foster lives upstairs from his office, last I heard. Downstairs for his commute.

Feb 7, 14 11:10 am  · 
 · 
Aristotle

Zaha took a long time to get a building commissioned, overall, a slow early start. Endless hours slogging it away, no life but work.

Feb 7, 14 11:11 am  · 
 · 
Thecyclist
Bankrupt architects are the best...cocaine's not cheap!
Feb 7, 14 11:12 am  · 
 · 
zonker

Jonathan Segal in La Jolla does pretty well for himself - he is also a developer as well

Irving Gill died a broke person

Feb 7, 14 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

@Aristotle:  Zaha started out pretty wealthy, though.

Feb 7, 14 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Brad Pit is doing well I think.

Feb 7, 14 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Philip Johnson died rich too, but then he started out rich.

I think Louis Sullivan pretty much died poor.

Feb 7, 14 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

J segal sold his entire portfolio in 2006ish for +/-$45mil. 25 years to build up approximately 114 rental units. The rentals also cashflowed while he owned them.

Feb 7, 14 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

curtkram is pretty broke.  not dead yet though.

Feb 7, 14 4:07 pm  · 
 · 

Define "rich".

adjective 1. Highly ironic. 2. Over seasoned, as in food.

Feb 7, 14 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
babs

Is there a point to this thread ?

Feb 7, 14 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
dgravesLA

J segal was a developer architect.

L Kahn was a master architect. 

Seems like developers win the money game.

Feb 8, 14 1:05 am  · 
 · 
Aristotle

@toasteroven but her company didn't, they weren't winning competitons, are you saying her finnacial capital was from personal sources.

Feb 8, 14 5:37 am  · 
 · 
Aristotle

@babs, mayb the point of the thread is that it is a starting point for the OP to find out how bankrupt architects, then the next step would be "why and how".

Feb 8, 14 5:38 am  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

i was once a rich architect, but that was because my first wife was rich

Feb 8, 14 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Thomas Jefferson died broke. But then he was only an amateur architect; he didn't even have a stamp! He did it mostly as a hobby in his old age, along with founding the world's first secular university. His day job was founding a nation, which we've pretty much pi$$ed away. All hail Bush, all hail Obama!

Feb 8, 14 4:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: