Archinect
anchor

Thinkpad w700

ichweiB

I said goodbye to my Macbook Pro last week for a Lenovo Thinkpad. I am pretty excited about it. My work is primarily only in Rhino and Maya and I was a bit tired of having to switch to bootcamp all the time. VmWare was too slow-or at least I could never get settings right to actually make it worthwhile.

So, I sold the Macbook to a kid that produces/edits music which suited him well, and then I was able to get a family and friends discount through Lenovo. That allowed me to save a good bit of money. This is what I ordered:

2ghz Quad Core Processor
512 NVIDIA QUADRO FX2700
3GBPC3-8500 1067MHZ2DIMM
NON-RAID HDD250GB HDD,5400
17"WUXGA LCD400NIT Screen
INT.TURBOMEMORY1.6 2GB
DVD REC 8X MAXULTRENHSATA
INTEGRATED CAMERA
ULTRANAV + FPR
EXPCARD(54MM)+EXPCARD(34MM

It also comes with a built-in Wacom digital pad/pen which I am interested in using-specifically with Illustrator for detailing sections, elevations, plans, etc...

All this was $1941 with the discount.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else is using this model and how it works for them.

Oct 20, 09 4:27 pm
maxpower

i have a w500 and it's fantastic. i'm sold on lenovo's, solid machines.

Oct 20, 09 9:26 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

be prepared for some exercise. That monster is HEAVY

Oct 20, 09 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
mental

i would get a second hard drive and put it in raid-0, that is the only capability it has over other machines with 17" screens. and since you are only using 3gb, you may have well just bought a machine that is much lighter because you are not using any of the advantages of the w700

Oct 21, 09 10:08 am  · 
 · 
leeben

you are not going to carry this around with you a lot, I presume.

a 2nd hard drive is a good idea...I'm sure you would need more than 250gb during the lifetime of your computer...
secondly, what software are you using? 3gb ram on a powerhouse that you have seems a bit lacking...I would preferably upgrade to a 64-bit OS and at least double the amount of ram I have.

Oct 21, 09 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
ichweiB

yeah. I was hoping to buy ram cheaper than what thinkpad has it listed at.my dad's company has contracting purchases through a company that I can get it much cheaper...so I was holding out for that.

I am using Maya and Rhino + Maxwell Render mostly.

Photoshop, Illustrator, etc...the initial setup was a budget issue honestly. I hope to upgrade as time goes on.

Oct 21, 09 1:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: