Archinect
anchor

Asked to GC a small project?

Larchinect

We won a small design competition in our area for a municipal installation. The client (town) presented us with a contract today to be the GC on the project. Mind you, this is a very small project, like $25k+/- budget. After a few hours reading over the contract I decided to go back to town with a proposal to keep us on as a consultant to ensure the piece follows the original intent, but that we would be more comfortable if the town managed construction.

I kind of feel like a wuss for backing out of the GC role, but my gut tells me its a bad idea, if not leaving me open for all kinds of liability, etc. Plus, we're a small, young design operation and Id rather not do anything weird and get ourselves in trouble before even getting started.

What would you do?

Feb 5, 14 7:30 pm

I'd propose a C/M type agreement to act as consulting PM. Leave performance liability with subs and payment liability with muni.

Feb 5, 14 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

the budget might not allow, but you could team up with a GC.  the city can hire you, and you hire the GC, such that you are essentially the GC as far as they're concerned, but the GC would be doing the work their comfortable with.

Feb 5, 14 10:15 pm  · 
 · 
Larchinect

Yeah I considered that, but we don't want to produce full cd's, potentially leaving the contractor to interpret the design and we have a very engaged group of stakeholders who won't take well to major design changes. Is there a way to contractually bind the GC to the design based on 'not for construction'/builders set dwgs and hold them to it or would we again be opening ourselves up to liability? 

Feb 5, 14 10:39 pm  · 
 · 

^ Unrealistic. The fee is pretty much negligible as it is. And you don't want to be in the middle of the money, waaay too much risk and liability. 

Feb 5, 14 10:40 pm  · 
 · 
Larchinect

Yep, totally agree. Admittedly new experience for me so had to follow my gut on this one. One of my concerns was being the go between on dispersing payment to contractors, seems like a recipe for disaster. Seems like I made the right call, hopefully the town can take up the the cm role.

Feb 5, 14 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

How many subs involved? What exactly are you building? Will it have foundations? Is it enclosed? For $25k it cant be much. Ive installed doors that cost more than that. Could be a good opportunity to GC a very simple project.

Feb 6, 14 1:42 am  · 
 · 
Saint in the City

Are you insured to be able to perform as GC?

Feb 6, 14 5:47 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Might need to be licensed too.

Feb 6, 14 10:25 am  · 
 · 

All reasons to be a consulting PM. 

Feb 6, 14 10:28 am  · 
 · 
Saint in the City

^ If you're talking about a CM/a arrangement, I do think that's a viable option here --  even so,  there is still much to consider -- risk / liability / insurance -- plus the skills necessary to perform in this capacity.  That said, and although a muni job might not be the best training ground -- I'd probably advise talking with your insurance / legal peeps and take a crack at it.

I think this is role that would help drive the profession in a great direction -- back toward something closer to master builder. 

Feb 6, 14 11:32 am  · 
 · 
Larchinect

the contract was written as if we would become the 'general contractor.' I trust the town project manager, but dont want to find myself in the middle, plus liability, etc. It certainly is small. Its going to take a few days for the town to come back with a new contract. Im thinking we could have a few more details nailed down by then anyway, so the point may be moot.

Feb 6, 14 9:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: