Archinect
anchor

Favorite ARE Study Materials/Guides/Methods

jplourde

Hi All,

I've searched the forum, but didn't any posts related to this specific issue. If anyone know's of one, then please just link.

What are your favorite study guides, or materials or methods for the ARE?

Who has used Kaplan? Who likes flash cards? Is the material that NCARB provides helpful?

Also, for those on the other side, how long did it take you to complete the exams? And were you working full time while taking them?

Cheers Comrades,

Oct 8, 09 6:38 am
outthere

Good questions.. Id also like to know your answers.

To add to the questions tho.. How long did it take you to recieve your exam results? Someone told me 6 months, is that true?

Oct 8, 09 6:50 am  · 
 · 
jplourde

I think you receive results as per exam, not at the end of all. But also, if it takes 6 months that's insane.

Oct 8, 09 6:58 am  · 
 · 
tagalong

honestly, areforum.org is invaluable, where you will get comments and examples of the study vignette solutions, and more specific answers to your questions broken down by each test.

Oct 8, 09 11:18 am  · 
 · 
tagalong

oh, also, the timing for receiving test scores changes with the wind. some people are finding out in as little as 2 weeks, there has also been recent unfortunate backups in the grading that have had people waiting like 14 weeks....hopefully most of that is behind us.

NCARB states on their website (assuming normal circumstances) that tests are graded between 4 and 6 weeks after you take your exam, then mailed to your state board, assume another 1 to 2 weeks for your state board to mail/post online (if you have that option in your state) your scores.

Oct 8, 09 11:22 am  · 
 · 
charles.ellinwood

i have found that the ALS Study Guides were very helpful to me. having recently passed the A.R.E., i recommend ALS and religious use of areforum.org, in addition to simply working in an office.

in my experience, test reports took 6-8 weeks...earlier for the MC. but, since the exam format changed to 4.0, it's probably closer to 8 weeks.

it took me a few years to get through the whole thing...but i wasn't trying to kill myself while doing it. some people knock it out in a few months while others don't. i STRONGLY recommend working a few years in an office to the point where you are working on projects and getting deeply involved in technical / practical aspects before starting the exam process. a lot of what i encountered on the exam was able to be answered using job-acquired knowledge.

good luck!

Oct 8, 09 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
ether

bump

Jan 17, 10 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

I completely disagree with the utility of the areforum. I can only think of two questions I had that were answered by a search on that forum, so it IS useful -- but the downside of what a time-suck it is, and how much it can potentially lead you down pointless goat trails makes it nearly worthless to me. I am honestly surprised that so many people seem to think it's that helpful -- for me it only ever raises my blood pressure (so many anxious people in one place!) leading me to question myself and head down a dark path. I guess I would just say Your Mileage May Vary. There is nothing on that forum that isn't covered by one of the other study guides in some form anyway, so don't stress out if you don't have the time or the inclination to sift through all the crazy anxious posting on the forum.

I will say this, after having shelled out the dough for the Kaplan series :
Kaplan is really more of a generalist study prep, whereas Ballast seems to get way into specifics. Therefore they each have their drawbacks, however ALL IN ALL if you ONLY had one book to study I would pick Ballast over Kaplan, frankly.
Kaplan has been good for me to read first, basically reading it straight through (not bothering to take notes or highlight or anything) week 1 of studying. THEN, after I have taken a practice test, I go back through and study the Ballast book with much more attention, particularly zeroing in on the bits I didn't get right on the practice test. Then I take one or two more practice tests and take the test.

Oh, I skipped one thing -- Prof. Dorf's vignette book = INVALUABLE. You will most likely fail at least one vignette if you don't read his book. If you DO read his book, it is literally all you need to know to nail the vignettes.

Of course, I am saying this with quite a few years of solid CA experience, which in the end I strongly believe has prepared me for these exams more than anything else. If you don't have a ton of field experience, then you may need to study more I suppose.

On the other hand, the tests are so esoteric and specific (they are NOT testing for general knowledge--they really zero in on the tiniest details) that in a sense it's not even possible to study perfectly for these tests. Does that make sense? I mean, you're never going to know every single question.

Jan 17, 10 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
some person

FLASH CARDS, FLASH CARDS, FLASH CARDS!

go flash cards!

Professor Dorf's book was also very helpful for the graphics portions, but I took all of my exams under the previously-retired format and while Professor Dorf was still alive (I even spoke to him on the phone once when ordering!)

I used the Ballast book when studying for my second-go-around with the general structures exam.

Like mantaray said, working is your best form of studying, especially if you can get CA experience.

To answer some of the original poster's questions:

It took me 11-to-12 months, start-to-finish. I was in the midst of one of the most difficult CA projects that I ever expect to encounter in my career. (which, in fact, may have actually HELPED keep me in "the zone.") I took all of my exams on Saturday mornings/early afternoons and even recall sometimes going into the office afterwards to keep afloat with my project work.

Wow - that was dreadful for me - but I would not have done a single thing differently. Luckily there was a Godiva store located around the corner from Prometric where I rewarded myself after many tests :)

Good luck to you, and please, where ever you are in the process, bring up the Prometric website RIGHT THIS MINUTE and schedule your next exam!

Jan 18, 10 1:07 am  · 
 · 
smallpotatoes

use the areforum to access study resources in addition to Ballast, Dorf Solutions, and Archiflash cards. I found the forum website to be helpful in practicing the best strategy for the graphic vignettes. Some of the vignettes seem to be more about designing a solution FAST than designing a good solution - so practicing and seeing multiple examples of solutions was helpful (AFTER thourough reading of material and trying it out solo first).

Jan 19, 10 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
jplourde

So, after a near three year sojourn overseas,  I've condensed the responses here into the following summary:

1.) Kaplan is good for a starting point as it offers a broad overview.  

2.)  Ballast is better for specifics and nitty gritty.

3.)  Archiflash is good for supplemental on the daily commute, etc.  

4.)  Dorf is ace for vignettes [also in the above package].

Some questions and observations:  

Kaplan has books dedicated to each test and costs $1299.95 for the complete library [which includes online vignettes, and flash cards etc.].  While Ballast, seemingly, is one book and costs $211.68 at Amazon.  Are we really sure Kaplan is the more general of the two?

Archiflash has an iPhone app, is it any good?  What about Kaplan's?  Do we know of any iPad apps out?  

Hope this helps some people get through their exams!

Dec 5, 11 10:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: