Archinect
anchor

Astronomy in architecture

harihara sudhan

Astronomy as design parameter in buildings. To explore the idea of bringing the sun rays to touch a specific spot at a specific time on a specific date in an annually recurring manner.

To expand this idea to making changes in the oreintation,fenestration of the built form and to let the beholder experience the beauty of the full moon, new moon,celestial zodiac star formations from with in the house or certain areas of the built form.

To make architectural design sensitive to the macro universe and enriching the experience of the human inside the built form through precise astronomy.

Memorials, Marriage halls,Observatories,I S R O, and even Malls, Commercial and residential projects could benefit from this study. Apart from having overall impact on the way urban design and street orientation could result in greater sensitivity and spatial celestial experience to the common citizen. 

Jan 29, 14 1:16 am
drums please, Fab?

see james turrell's Rosen crater

Jan 29, 14 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
jcr

That's "RODEN" Crater.

Look into "archaeoastronomy". Humans have been doing it for thousands & thousands of years. There's many ways of doing it; alignments, openings, shadow casting, etc.

Jan 29, 14 9:44 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

iPhone oopsy

Jan 30, 14 12:58 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

See star axis in New Mexico.  

Jan 30, 14 10:46 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

isn't the path station aligned to do something with the sun angles on 9-11?  I thought I heard that somewhere...

Jan 31, 14 4:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: