Archinect
anchor

like a child

awesomekeith

what makes a good architect ? If technology levels the playing field how does one person stand out from another (in the beginning of one's career)? How do you get to the point of actually designing buildings that become construction documents? Is this profession completely subjective, and only based on the relationships and network you build? Why do buildings look the way that they do, and not some other way? For example: Houses? Why are most suburban track homes all cubed shaped with triangle roofs? Why aren't they domes made out of mud?  Or something else? Is it true that triangle roofs really are superior ? How does psychology inform architecture? I want to be an architect I want to design buildings how do I get there?

what ? 

Jan 25, 14 1:04 pm
legopiece

Oh dont worry young grasshopper. All will be more clear to you when you in time.

Jan 25, 14 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
legopiece

"more clear to you in time."

Jan 25, 14 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

You'll enjoy first year studio. 

Jan 25, 14 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

what makes a good architect ?

there is not one answer to this question.  there are a lot of different ways to be a good architect, different skillsets and such to focus on.  find your own path;  that will be the best path for you.

If technology levels the playing field how does one person stand out from another (in the beginning of one's career)?

technology doesn't level the playing field.  it only provides a tool to do the job.

How do you get to the point of actually designing buildings that become construction documents?

go to school, then idp, work for a few years and get real life experience in producing construction documents, then ARE, get a license, get someone to hire you to design a building i suppose.  other than that, not sure what you're asking.  good luck with that.

Is this profession completely subjective, and only based on the relationships and network you build?

the profession is not completely subjective; the education is.  if you have a boss, their opinion matters more than yours.  if you have a client, their opinion matters more than yours.  sometimes, no matter how 'right' you are, you're still 'wrong.'  that's just how it is.  relationships and networks are important.  those are the things that get you good jobs and clients to pay you to design buildings.

Why do buildings look the way that they do, and not some other way? For example: Houses? Why are most suburban track homes all cubed shaped with triangle roofs?

triangle roofs are triangle to let water and snow fall off.  sometimes you design to fit the context too.  if all the houses on you block have triangle roofs, you might want to keep yours triangle so it doesn't look too out of place.  there are many reasons why things end up looking the way they do.  some reasons are arbitrary, but i think the vast majority are not.

Why aren't they domes made out of mud?

i assume maintenance and longevity would become a serious issue.  constructability might be problematic too.

Or something else?

sometimes they are something else.

Is it true that triangle roofs really are superior?

Heidegger wrote about that a bit.  i forget the name of what he wrote.  maybe someone reading this can let you know.

How does psychology inform architecture?

does psychology really inform architecture?  sometimes you have think about how people will use the spaces you're designing.  i suppose that's psychology.

I want to be an architect I want to design buildings how do I get there?

go to architecture school, get a job, start idp, get real experience, sit for the are, get a license, get a better job.  good luck.

what ? 

i don't know, what?

Jan 25, 14 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
ArchNyen

Example above answers one of your question; yes, it is all subjective.

My 2 cent. find your personal calling in architecture.  Enjoy these questions that you are asking and never stop learning. Because Architecture is a life time of learning.  It is not only learning about the field but also yourself.

Jan 25, 14 11:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: