Archinect
anchor

Can you go back to architecture?

MarvinOne

Is there anyone out there who had to leave architecture for a couple of years due to the slow economy and has now been able to get a job back in architecture? I'm faced with knowing that I will now have to leave the profession (my second career already) because I can't find a new job and while I'm trying to find employment in related fields, there's a strong possibility that I will end up with a job not related at all. I fall in that 5-10 years of experience range.

My biggest fear is that if I'm out for a couple of years, no one will hire me back. If you've had a similar experience, I'd be grateful if you shared. Thank you.

Jan 20, 14 9:56 am

If you can't get a job in architecture now what makes you think it will be any better in the future?

Jan 20, 14 10:33 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

atom seems to think things are going fairly well

http://archinect.com/forum/thread/91154816/what-is-your-take-on-the-market

whereas marvinone seems more pessimistic

http://archinect.com/forum/thread/91637996/wrong-employers-or-wrong-career

of course, ARCHIHELPERS wants to outsource you

http://archinect.com/forum/thread/91436289/what-about-outsourcing-the-architectural-assistan-s-job

Jan 20, 14 10:46 am  · 
 · 
mightyaa

My general take is that 'yes' you can.  It's actually not going to hurt you much because of the economy and having to 'do what you had to do'.  Most older architects will sympathize for why you needed to take on another career path during the downturn and give you 'raised eyebrows' that you want back in.  Mental issues maybe?

Jan 20, 14 11:30 am  · 
 · 
observant

Many *cough* are doing the reduced hours thing.  Call it a furlough or whatever.  In good times, people do return after an absence.  They are usually more seasoned, as you are, and not interns.  A guy from New York told me his cousin, from Iran, left architecture to pursue something like a family business, importing or development (I've forgotten), and then went back to work for a firm.  I think you can still do that today, though it would depend on the employer, its culture, and the area in which you live.  Three years ago, doubtful. Some will balk.  Others will understand.  I would also query which software is popular in your market, and take those 2 courses (i.e Revit and Sketch-up) at a c.c. to bone up.  If in CA, for example, where c.c. tuition is a steal, then why not? 

As for the mental issues comment ^, some here have returned after trying other things.  What else is there to do, really?  Without additional training?  Sell houses, sell cars, tend bar?  Outside of the design and construction realm, the education and training do not correlate to much else.

Since architecture was already your second career, OP, may I ask what your first was?

Jan 20, 14 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
Aristotle

You can!! You can do it.

Just build up your portfolio.

Feb 4, 14 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
Atom

I once was told by a firm partner the limit is about 3 years when they consider applicants. That is one story from one person. However, I have never seen anyone return to the field after 3 years out. At that point they have other applicants more current or competitive. Yet at that point nobody had to endure an economic recess lasting this long. It is a profession with less jobs the higher the experience level. People get displaced and never come back. One boss for 10 software operators. Those 10 software operators won't all make it to the boss level. 

One way around that is to say fuck everything about that dominance hierarchy and get your own, probably smaller, commission. Bail on that house of gorillas with rulers.  

Feb 5, 14 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

I've quit twice, and both times had no trouble getting back into it. However, my situation may have been unusual. I think it depends on a few things:

1) In your non-architectural career, did you do something that can be connected back to architecture in a meaningful way (in my case: investment finance and management)

2) Are your architectural skills in demand (in my case: I've never had trouble finding work as a designer)

3) How long were you out, or have you kept up your skills in some verifiable way (in my case: I was never out for more than two years, and kept doing sideline projects as favors for friends)

Feb 6, 14 5:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: