Archinect
anchor

Suggestion Atelier Bow Wow or

Spline

Atelier Bow-Wow or Shigeru Ban ?

Hi folks,

which of this two firms would prefer to gain experience in as a fresh graduated?I am interested in both firms for different reason, and I do not know how to decide. If anyone has even just some little thought or advice about that, I would be grateful to hear it.

Best,

S

Jan 19, 14 10:05 am
Roshi

Did you interview with and get accepted to both of them? Or are you, somehow, 100% confident that you're going to?

Jan 19, 14 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
Spline

Hi Roshi,

Sorry, english is not my native language. My post was not so clear.

Yes I am going to apply both of them, and I was just wondering in case of positive response in which one I will prefer to go. 

I just wanted to know what people were thinking here in the forum, it's a kind of pool :)

Jan 19, 14 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

I'd wait until you are accepted at both before you worry about this issue. 

Jan 19, 14 11:15 pm  · 
 · 

hah, good advice, LITS4FormZ

They are both great. If you are inexperienced it won't matter so much, although Tsukamoto is smaller scale (at least that i my impression).

Japanese hours are brutal.  Expect no sleep, no holidays, last train home for little or no pay. If you don't speak Japanese you will most likely be making models and doing presentation work. Great experience in either case but its not for the weak of heart.

The above description of work hours won't change too much across the board in Japan.  The difference will be the work you are exposed to in terms of scale and program. If you do get the chance to pick one or the other I would decide based on that if anything...

Jan 20, 14 1:24 am  · 
 · 
Spline

Thank you galloway for your reply, I know about the japanese brutal system since I already had one experience during my study time in one office in Tokyo...Now I was just curios about what internship looks like in this 2 offices and which maybe in the future might worth more to have in the cv... 

Jan 20, 14 5:59 am  · 
 · 

Ban is better known and does larger work. The Tsukamoto's are maybe more interesting in terms of the issues their work embodies.  but if you've lived here before as an intern you probably know it won't matter beyond that, you'll be doing the same sort of work most likely, either way.Unless you have a special skill, special language or similar, in which case you might get to take part in different things than your fellow interns...

Jan 20, 14 8:29 am  · 
 · 
LethalMonk6

I would worry about getting these 2 offices to even read your application first.

Jan 20, 14 3:48 pm  · 
 · 

Intern churn is super high. They are selective, but its not like applying for a real job, just intern.  In Japan they are called open desks, which means working for free for long hours for the honor of being there. Its not so hard to get in. Much harder to stay for more than 3 months...

unless you really suck it is not such an impossible ambition

Jan 20, 14 9:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: