Archinect
anchor

Where are you now? Success stories wanted.

2scale

Will all the grim news about the current state of our profession, I thought it would be nice to hear some success stories that can help uplift the rest of us who are out of work and going through tough times.

Were you laid off and are now working again? How did you get that new position? Did you change careers? Start your own business? Decide to take time off and travel? I'd love to hear your success stories about how you are managing to survive this economy, and if you have any tips about how you got your new position, share them!

Aug 17, 09 4:22 pm
mookie

Moved to the country!

I was laid off in January, and it was impossible to get work in the bigger cities. After months of jub hunt, I started to apply to positions everywhere else, got plenty of interviews, and were hiried shortly at a private firm that do all types of project + competitions. Firm is tiny, and I get to design more instead of producing panels for projects that I never worked on, so all for the better career wice. Lower pay, but lower costs of living. This is Scandinavia, I don't know if it would apply to the States, but here it seemed like it was more stable in the country where firms have both government and private projects.

I miss the city, but it beats being unemployed and struggling. I would hate to change carreer, but would if there were no other options. Travel or starting an office is not an option, student loan requires me being employed. Relocating worked for me, so I will do this for a while, and do competitions on the side and get more specialized skills while waiting for times to change.

It all depends on what you can afford, I guess. Good luck!

Aug 18, 09 4:21 am  · 
 · 
trace™

I chose to take a new career direction during the last downturn (dot com bust), started my own business and never looked back.

Obviously, this economy sucks, but being able to control expenses, etc., allows for much less worry (and has given me time to improve my golf and learn photography, both biz expenses of course!).

Aug 18, 09 9:19 am  · 
 · 
ORomaniuk

Just curious, what kind of business did you start, trace? Architecture related or something entirely different?

Aug 18, 09 9:42 am  · 
 · 
gresham

got out of architecture just before the ax would have fallen on my neck... currently working for a large gov't agency as their in-house sustainability expert.

Aug 18, 09 9:53 am  · 
 · 
trace™

3D, graphics, web, video...working on architecture more now, though (but that is a different company)

I love architecture more than anything, but would never want a regular architecture firm. Personal projects and very select others is more inline with what I enjoy.

Aug 18, 09 11:47 am  · 
 · 
whistler

Our office survived well, no lay offs or lost of work, a couple of grinders tried to get us to work for less and I had to write a few more proposals but generally in good shape for next year. We've been busy all spring and summer, and expect this year be very steady. Took on a few more smaller scale projects / renos which I normally wouldn't but I didn't want to loose staff or cycle down too much. The pace of the office is nice with a good mix of project types.

Aug 18, 09 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Our office survived well, no lay offs or lost of work, a couple of grinders tried to get us to work for less and I had to write a few more proposals but generally in good shape for next year. We've been busy all spring and summer, and expect this year be very steady. Took on a few more smaller scale projects / renos which I normally wouldn't but I didn't want to loose staff or cycle down too much. The pace of the office is nice with a good mix of project types.

Aug 18, 09 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

trace, you are my hero! way to live your dream.

Aug 18, 09 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Thanks Strawbeary!

Please check your email, I sent something to your personal account.

Aug 19, 09 2:52 pm  · 
 · 

today our firm (of which i'm now a partner) got to go to lunch to receive an alfred p sloan 'when work works' award - recognition of our office as a positive, flexible, supportive workplace. that was kind of nice.

Aug 19, 09 8:38 pm  · 
 · 
binary

self employed since 2000 and picking up any job i can.... 1 day building a model...next day working on the vette...next day doing plumbing/copper in a house....it has it's ups and downs..... no such thing as job security hence why i went my own route....and i start grad school in a few weeks

Aug 19, 09 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

awesome, SW

holz hasn't jumped from a bridge, quit or been fired so that's a bunch of mini-successes (even if work hasn't been, um, great). designing little projects on the side (ADU, deck, boathouse) has kept me sane, even if none of them have or will be built (for now, anyway). plus the non-profit work i've been doing has boosted my IDP hours. hooray!

Aug 19, 09 8:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: