Archinect
anchor

Pros of Being An Architect

BulgarBlogger

Rules: 

Each entry must be pre-numbered. Example: Pro #1, 2, 3, etc... 

To make this as diverse of a thread as possible, I ask that everyone please post only one numbered Pro in this thread. 

I'll start (you can follow my numbering example): 

Pro #1: You can directly contribute to people's everyday life experiences and memories by creating built environments that they utilize. 

Jan 14, 14 6:53 pm

#1 Babes. Lot's of hot babes.

Jan 14, 14 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

babes would be #2

pro #3: free lunch at lunch'n'learns

Jan 14, 14 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Let's see which one of these threads will still be here in the morning. It will determine whether or not the pro's outweigh the con's.

Jan 14, 14 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
#4 huge sex life
Jan 14, 14 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

#5 - Lots of free time to engage in meaningless web fluff!

Jan 14, 14 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

#6 huge presence in movie and or tv characters

Jan 14, 14 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

#7 - Envy of people who don't know enough to pity us.

Jan 14, 14 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
Dj Design

#8 You can become a millionaire by helping people create solutions to problems that make the world a better place.

Jan 14, 14 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
postal

#9 Isn't the saying, "architect's do it with models"

Jan 14, 14 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

#10 only architects can pull off these frames

Jan 14, 14 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
G4tor

#11 the privilege to brag to our friends who're not in the field about how much we make

Jan 14, 14 8:56 pm  · 
 · 

#12 ability to answer the query what do you do with one word (well, one word within a three-and-a-half word sentence): I'm an architect.  None of this "I'm the assistant supervisor for the human resources department of a multi-national blah blah blah…"

I'm an architect.  I love this sentence.

Jan 14, 14 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

#13 reading pages and pages of cons from miles

Jan 14, 14 10:24 pm  · 
 · 

#14 The rare client who actually makes you think you didn't make such a bad career choice after all.

Jan 14, 14 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
observant

# 15 You may turn into a moderate, or possibly even a conservative, as a knee-jerk reaction

Jan 14, 14 10:48 pm  · 
 · 

^ That's supposed to be a PRO?!

Jan 14, 14 11:00 pm  · 
 · 
observant

^ Moderate definitely is.  Conservative ... not so much.

Jan 14, 14 11:49 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

#16 Being referred to as a "Renaissance" person. 

#17 X-ray vision.

Jan 15, 14 5:07 am  · 
 · 
boy in a well

#666 Being flown around for gigs is hot.

Jan 15, 14 5:25 am  · 
 · 
DeTwan

You trying to derail this train well boi?!

#18 You can relate to the drunk homeless guy that you see daily wearing the fake knee brace.

#19 It is okay to be a 'stoner'.

^ I guess that should be #420, but I'm too stoned to fix it.

Jan 15, 14 5:42 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

#1 You don't have to follow the rulez. 

Jan 15, 14 5:55 am  · 
 · 
DeTwan

^ *wink*

Jan 15, 14 6:29 am  · 
 · 

20.  Misogyny.

Jan 15, 14 9:06 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

21. You're encouraged to create a personal point of view.

Jan 15, 14 9:12 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

#22.  No one REALLY knows what you do.  ….or maybe thats a con…..

Jan 15, 14 9:26 am  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

22. You can drink at work ( sometimes) also makes us closer to said homeless man in alley

Jan 15, 14 9:27 am  · 
 · 
Benjamin_

#23 - The intensely competitive nature of our industry - it's motivating and inspirational 

Jan 15, 14 9:53 am  · 
 · 

^ Nope. Industrial design @ RISD. Grew up in an architect's office (literally) and bailed out of the architecture program as soon as I saw how clueless everyone was. Professors and students alike. Freidrich St. Florian was head of the architecture program, thesis projects were required to be presented as isometric murals in ink on vellum. Everyone was scraping ink with razor blades. You would have loved it.

Jan 15, 14 9:57 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Well then OBVIOUSLY you have no right to hold an opinion on Architecture. 

Jan 15, 14 10:08 am  · 
 · 

I know, I just do it to piss off people. 

Jan 15, 14 10:47 am  · 
 · 
Roshi

#24: Being able to go on Archinect for comedic relief

Edit: perhaps that's a Con.

Jan 15, 14 11:59 am  · 
 · 
observant

Misogyny.

Ha.  Well, thinking back at a-school at some of the feminists, chicks whose butch quotient was too high, or were generally cold fish, that's probably the genesis of it.

25.  Going around a city or a neighborhood and labeling styles and elements correctly, and impressing others in the process.  I rather like labeling.

Jan 15, 14 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
26. New Ferrari every month
Jan 15, 14 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I worked for an architect while still in undergrad who would put his business card on the dash of his car when he needed to double park downtown, work related or not.

So

#27. Using "It's OK, I'm an Architect" to avoid (maybe) parking tickets.

Jan 15, 14 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

28. Giving a parking enforcement employee a good laugh via #27.

Jan 15, 14 1:05 pm  · 
 · 

#29 Being able to talk like this.

Jan 15, 14 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^SneakyPete, good catch.

Jan 15, 14 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I  like Donna's #12 ("I'm an architect").

Jan 15, 14 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
observant

30.  Adrenalin rushes from all the infighting.  Coffee not required, though architects always seem to have a (smug) mug in hand.

Jan 15, 14 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

observant, coffee is always required.

Jan 15, 14 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

am i inferior to you now, since i have a mug of coffee?  or was 'smug' intended as a compliment?  it didn't come off that way.

turned a "pro" forum thread into an attack thread :(

Jan 15, 14 4:36 pm  · 
 · 

#31 You can be fabulously successful without a grain of design talent.

Jan 15, 14 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

lol

Good one Miles, didn't laugh till I saw both threads, and unfortunately/fortunately very true. I have work for 2 ppl like that.

Jan 15, 14 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
observant

am i inferior to you now, since i have a mug of coffee?  or was 'smug' intended as a compliment?  it didn't come off that way.

turned a "pro" forum thread into an attack thread :(

Oh, come now.  Mine is always filled with Earl Grey tea.  And I'm not even a fan of the Brits.

32.  You have an easier time picking out clothes, because everything is black, brown, gray, and occasionally white, unless you decide to be a trailblazer and go with apricot.

Jan 15, 14 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
33. Being able to tell engineers what to do.

34. Being right all the time
Jan 16, 14 12:27 pm  · 
 · 

35.  Being able to make stuff up out of thin air.  Literally, we can take an emtpy site, wave our hands, and then a coulple years later, poof:  a flaming piece of shit appears!

Jan 16, 14 1:00 pm  · 
 · 

36.  Similar to making things up, unlike the rest of the construction industry, we don't actually have to build much of anything to make a living.

Jan 16, 14 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

we can't do flaming anymore.  it's against code.

Jan 16, 14 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
Medusa

37. You get to own a sweet collection of books.

Jan 16, 14 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
JsBach

38. Compared to just about any other way to make a living, architecture is fun.

There are many ways to make a living in architecture, but one of the best ways to be successful is to have lots of knowledge about lots of things. I greatly enjoy learning a new building type, whether it's just a construction method, or a new business that is just taking off, there is always something new to wrap your head around.

I am not one of those guys who got into architecture for the art or the theory. I got into it because I like drafting. I like putting together a set of drawings. I like solving problems. I like learning. I have respect for the artsy types, but that isn't me.

Jan 16, 14 11:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: