Archinect
anchor

Working for WORK AC

jasonmou

HI

I've been offered an internship position in their office in New York.

Does anyone have any experinces they would like to share?

I've been told that they pay their interns, but I'd like to know how much?

Thank you reading

Jan 14, 14 4:57 pm
TED

Do it! Great stuff - 

Jan 14, 14 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
They do *great* critical work and seem like a conscientious practice. Don't work for free (for anyone), but do try to work hard both for their and your benefit - seems like a wonderful place to learn.
Jan 14, 14 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
spqr

You've been offered an internship but don't know how much you'll be paid? That's part of an offer.

Jan 14, 14 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
jasonmou

I'd like to see what my options are. I have two internship offers on the table. The first on is at WORK AC, where I have heard you get paid. The other ons is at Peter Eisenmans office, where I know for sure I won't get paid, and not sure what kind of work I will be doing.

Jan 15, 14 2:18 pm  · 
 · 

Is Eisenman still not paying interns? STILL?

Jan 15, 14 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

WORK AC for sure.  Tell Petey E. to take his unpaid internship and f*ck off.

Jan 15, 14 2:31 pm  · 
 · 

Amazing how it's always the poor losers complaining about working for free.

Frankly, for entry-level/internship type experiences, money should be the least of your concerns.  If if does pay, it will be little more than peanuts.

Jan 15, 14 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
jasonmou

I don't mind working for free if it's a place of my interest and if I get to do something close to architectural work, and you get something out of the internship.

But being a receptionist / runner for free is not cool.

Jan 15, 14 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

And an attitude like that (encouraged by those who hold the power as a "good work ethic") is why unpaid internships still exist. You may think it's a good thing to be willing to take one for the team but I assure you it's doing a disservice to everyone in the profession.

Jan 15, 14 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

Actually Hansum, it's proof that if you start out making little in your career field compared to your counterparts in the same field, you will most likely have made less throughout your career span than the ones that actually worked for money.

Also, not everyone is blessed to have won the lottery or have rich parents.

And it is quite apparent that you have never really done architecture work on all levels OP. I would much rather talk to ppl than become a cubicle troll and not talk to a single person all day, everyday.

Work for free might be your BIGGEST mistake you make in your career!

Jan 15, 14 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^ second DeTwan's last sentence.

I find it hard to level with people who choose to donate their time for no pay. There is work out-there for qualified graduates. You are paid what you are worth. This applies to all positions but especially when the pay is zero.

Jan 15, 14 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
spqr

DON'T work for free.

Jan 15, 14 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
In my spare time I do volunteer work that betters my community. If I simultaneously worked for a for-profit architecture firm business, I would be worsening my community. It's all interconnected.

Don't work for free.
Jan 15, 14 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

only work for free if it involves massaging naked women or people less fortunate. period!

Jan 15, 14 5:22 pm  · 
 · 

Work for free!  Work for free!  Work for free!

Boom!   Epizeuxis for the win!

Jan 15, 14 5:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: