Archinect
anchor

Architecture and Technology/Mobile Computing/The Internet (+Virilio?)

Hallo

I'm working on the beginnings of researching my thesis. I'm currently gravitating towards looking at the impact of technology on the use of architecture in the way it effects social interactions and the creation of events. More specifically, I'm looking at the impact of the Internet and mobile computing (iPhones, Blackberry's, etc. Mobile Computers).

I just read an article in the newest AD called "iPhone City" which was great. Can anyone recommend me any more articles/essays/books/projects that may deal with this topic?

Also, it seems that Paul Virilio is a philosopher who is extremely involved with architecture and urbanism and has written about technology extensively. Does anyone know a place to start with Virilio that is pertinent to this topic?

Thank you very much!!

Aug 6, 09 3:53 pm
skeez

william mitchell has written extensively on this topic.

Aug 7, 09 11:48 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

Must have:
Rise of Networked Society ,Manuel Castells

Aug 8, 09 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

why was iphone city great?

Aug 9, 09 9:36 am  · 
 · 
alucidwake

I liked the article because of Its scope that it looked at architecture. It was not as fulfilling in some areas when he detailed his visions for the "software" side of architecture, but it was all appreciated in conveying his message which looks critically at the position of architecture in our present and projective culture

Aug 10, 09 2:57 pm  · 
 · 

ditto to skeez's comment, Bill's work in the Livable Cities group at the Media Lab would be worth checking out, along with Hiroshi Ishii's work in the Tangible Media group.

Aug 10, 09 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
cowerd

read adam greenfield (Everywhere and speedbird), dan hill's blog city of sound, eric paulos and anthony townsend. anne galloway has shut down her blog, but is writing at spaceandculture. they're all smarter (well greenfield, hill and galloway are) than mitchell.

for virilio start with the semitext(e) series, like Politics and Speed, Popular Defense and Ecological Struggles, and The Aesthetics of Disappearance.

Carlo Ratti's work at MIT on ambient informatics is amazing (i think that is the Sensible City Workshop), as is the work of Fabien Girardin at Pompeu Fabra in Barcelona. I think he's now at Lift Lab.

Aug 11, 09 1:07 am  · 
 · 

correction: Mitchell's group is [url]Smart Cities[/url], not Livable Cities

Aug 11, 09 10:33 am  · 
 · 

lets try that again: Smart Cities

Aug 11, 09 10:33 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: