Archinect
anchor

After college - work issues - Opinions

kd88

Hey guys,

One question for you all,

I live in a small city in Greece and work with my father at our small architecture office. The main problem is that because the city is small there are not any "architectural" events going on - not even close- I am only keeping up-to-date though the internet. This though, has taken a toll already on me, as I seem less inspired, started finding it extremely hard sometimes to come up with concepts or interesting (well-thought) designs and feel like i have compromised. If any of you has experienced anything similar what did you do?

Did you start a new course (distance learning perhaps)? Moved to a different city? How did you re-find the passion you had during your University years?

It seems to me like i have somehow unwillingly lost my passion and started thinking a project more from its budget, or engineering point of views, which i know is important but not the main thing. As a result, i have compromised the project into an un-proffesional level...

Any help would be good!

Thank you guys.

kd88

Jan 11, 14 1:26 pm
BulgarBlogger

I think its rather sad that you graduated from school and cannot come up with any ideas... it means you don't have a design process and/or you are not creative to begin with. Whatever it is, your inability to think creatively or critically has nothing to do with your access (or lack thereof) to to architectural events. Perhaps you are so used to comparing your own work against others' and borrowing ideas from others, that now that you have to stand on your own two feet, you cannot. Try being honest with yourself about what you think will work with the given constraints rather than trying to make the project the next case study at an AIA or RIBA event. 

Jan 13, 14 4:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: