Archinect
anchor

ICON on Linked Hybrid and a classic Holl quote.

Been catching up on some old ICON issues recently.

Here is a passage from their piece,
Rest here

RE: the Ballardian(ness) of Linked Hybrid;

"Despite the admirable ambition to create an urban microcosm, there is still a whiff of the totalitarian about Linked Hybrid. It looks like the perfect setting for a JG Ballard novel in which the social utopia gets tainted by primitive hierarchies and, if Ballard were really going for it, possibly cannibalism.

and Holl on???

Holl himself describes it, by turns, with infectious excitement and dreamy abandon. Of the recreational spaces in the public concourse, one, which he calls "a place of reflection", triggers a characteristically Holl-like meditation: "I was thinking about the notion of infinity, the notion of really infinite space, and I was thinking about the Milky Way galaxy, which is 100,000 light years across and 10,000 light years deep, so, the ratio of one to ten. But then what about all the other galaxies? They say over 100 million other galaxies - this notion of infinite, a feeling of infinite."

Love it,

Jul 30, 09 6:35 pm
liberty bell
I love it too

- love the building, love Holl's quote, love the way his brain works...I'm a groupie!

Jul 31, 09 12:02 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: